It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Foraken desert poon
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:36 pm 

This dates back maybe 12 years. I had aspirations to make an animated series.

Challenges:
I have no talent. This always was going to be folk outsider animation at best. I am 100% aware I have no grasp on drawing anatomy, perspective, or much of anything.

This was born out of hating my job. Everyone I worked with seemed like some cliche stereotype that had no right existing. I slaved for months over this, and ended up getting like 90 seconds of poorly drawn footage. The footage is wildly uneven because I was learning as I was going.

I took a break from it all, traveled the world for a bit, and gained perspective and found a better story in my head than what I wanted to start with. I concentrated my efforts on that, lost my work because of some data corruption, and filed it all away. That 2nd stab at a pilot is completely lost. I would have liked to have completed that one.

Behold, what I have been able to scrounge up from my abandoned Store 84 cartoon.

It's probably best I didn't get very far with it, as I cringe at some of the jokes I wanted to make.

Post subject: Re: Abandoned cartoon
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:46 pm 

Stop beating yourself up - that's fantastic quality for a one-person-no-experience cartoon. And, yes, it's ridiculously time consuming, even for people with years of experience.

You should check out Adobe Character Animator if you're ever interested in getting back into something like this - it uses a webcam to animate facial features, and you can assign keyboard and mouse commands to trigger other events. It's not a godsend, but it definitely speeds up certain aspects of character-based animation.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:01 pm 
Pollution Baby

I dug it.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:20 am 
Black Hole

OMFG

Dude, that was great. I liked the style and perspectives. The car ride was very cool.

Post subject: Re: Abandoned harpoon
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:55 pm 

Thanks. I half want to give animating another shot, though my muse is dead. Sure, I remember the stories and jokes I wanted to make, but I don't think I'd feel good making them now.

Chris, do you know if Adobe character animator lets you build scenes/have parallax scrolling/etc? I suppose I'm open to using different programs for different purposes.

Post subject: Re: Abandoned harpoon
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:21 pm 

I think to answer my own question, it's no.

But it seems that working with a few different adobe programs to get what I need is easier than what I was doing in Toon Boom Studio 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:21 pm 

Adobe After Effects is the tool you use to create and animate environments, and it even does character animation very well, with an additional (free) plugin. The show Archer, for instance, is animated completely in After Effects. You would also use Photoshop and/or Illustrator to design characters. And, hey, I teach all this - so if you want access to all my video tutorials, just say the word.

There are also free, or inexpensive, alternatives to Adobe software (which cannot be purchased, only rented). BTW, ToonBoom is still an industry standard for cartoon animation, and there's some things it can do that After Effects cannot (like onion skinning).

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:33 pm 
Singularity ∞

Can't believe I missed this.

Dude, what Chris said. That's terrific. Had no idea you had dabbled with anything like this. I think it came out great. For sure something to be proud of.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:08 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
Adobe After Effects is the tool you use to create and animate environments, and it even does character animation very well, with an additional (free) plugin. The show Archer, for instance, is animated completely in After Effects. You would also use Photoshop and/or Illustrator to design characters. And, hey, I teach all this - so if you want access to all my video tutorials, just say the word.

There are also free, or inexpensive, alternatives to Adobe software (which cannot be purchased, only rented). BTW, ToonBoom is still an industry standard for cartoon animation, and there's some things it can do that After Effects cannot (like onion skinning).

Oh god. Animating without onion skinning sounds like a nightmare.

Thank you for the offer on tutorials - I'm going to play around in the coming weeks with whats out there and where I'm stumped.

I see Adobe has a program called Animator CC which also looks useful.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:48 am 

brian wrote:
I see Adobe has a program called Animator CC which also looks useful.

Yeah, I would probably skip that one. It used to be called Flash, and Adobe has EOL'd the program. Yes, it can do what you want, but ToonBoom is very similar, and would be the better option.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:54 am 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
It used to be called Flash....

I am so glad to be over that thing. Action Script was horrible and I rarely got anything more complicated than a carousel of images to be stable across all browsers/platforms.

Post subject: Re: Abandoned basoon
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:56 am 

eh, AS 2 was great, and I never had issues with it. The problem was Adobe - when they took over development from Macromedia (and released AS3), both it and Director (anyone remember Shockwave?) went to shit.

Post subject: Re: Abandoned basoon
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:43 am 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
eh, AS 2 was great, and I never had issues with it. The problem was Adobe - when they took over development from Macromedia (and released AS3), both it and Director (anyone remember Shockwave?) went to shit.

I think, if I remember correctly, I started with AS2 and was fairly excited by it and then upgraded to the new Flash builder that had AS3 and that was where my frustration came into play.

I was also trying to get most of the Flash I was building to play nicely through a third party Access site - which was probably a lot of my grief, since I think my side client sites never had an issue with the Flash I built for them (image carousels, mostly - imagine that).

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:12 pm 

I bought a webcam to cheat with this animator program.

I thought my muse was gone, but it's there. Its been in hiding. I'm not terribly confident in my idea having appeal outside giving myself a laugh, but that's probably enough reason to do anything. I'm a little apprehensive to jump into this as I know how obsessed I can get on something once I start with it.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:08 pm 
Black Hole

brian wrote:
I bought a webcam to cheat with this animator program.

I thought my muse was gone, but it's there. Its been in hiding. I'm not terribly confident in my idea having appeal outside giving myself a laugh, but that's probably enough reason to do anything. I'm a little apprehensive to jump into this as I know how obsessed I can get on something once I start with it.

I am over 50 and jumped into the pit of trying to get out of Corporate America by doing designs for myself to try to sell them online.

The minimal success is heartbreaking and whatever is not broken on the rocks of no success has been breaking on the ongoing lack of success.

But, every morning I get up and work (except today which required me going in to unemployment for another BS "orientation meeting" where the career counselors justify their paycheck by making others without a paycheck spend money and time going to listen to them under threat of removal of benefits).

Keep at your muse. Beat that fucking bitch. Make her open her clam and then claim that pearl.

8-)

Post subject: Re: Foraken desert poon
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:48 am 
Singularity ∞

See, I don't even remember what this thread is about when I skim thread titles now. So that's neat, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:06 am 

Shoe wrote:
See, I don't even remember what this thread is about when I skim thread titles now. So that's neat, I guess.

After 13 years of this(!), we could just have one thread for everything, and nobody would care.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:32 am 
Singularity ∞

I've said here before that I'd have no objection to just cramming all these sub forums into one single forum.

But a single ongoing thread would drive me nuts.

Maybe.

Activity is slow enough here so that it's probably manageable.

Finding older stuff you want or whatever would be a pain, though, and if there are multiple active discussions happening at once it would be a mess.

Instead, I vote that we banish you to MySpace.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:21 am 

Well, lucky for me, my MySpace account still works, and it's still paused on the music track I was playing when I last loaded the site (early 2013ish, I think).

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:00 pm 

Shoe wrote:

It's about my long-forgotten about career as a cartoonist. I had a few classics, like Monterey Jack and the Ring Worm.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:02 pm 

Shoe wrote:
I've said here before that I'd have no objection to just cramming all these sub forums into one single forum.

But a single ongoing thread would drive me nuts.

Maybe.

Activity is slow enough here so that it's probably manageable.

Finding older stuff you want or whatever would be a pain, though, and if there are multiple active discussions happening at once it would be a mess.

Instead, I vote that we banish you to MySpace.

A group of my friends had an email conversation simply named "GAME NIGHT" that we all replied to for something around 10 or 12 years. Eventually we moved to a chat channel, and just shoot the shit in the game night channel.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:49 pm 
Singularity ∞

Yeah, Red and I have been doing that for years via email, too, though I do change the subject header every now and then.

But it's not the same thing and you fucking murderers know it!