It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:05 am 
Black Hole

As most of you know, I lost my job due to some BS contract crap between my actual employer and the National Guard. The fallout was pretty severe and pretty much put the nail in the coffin for having any confidence in working for anyone other than myself.

The prospect of looking for another job is fairly depressing and I don't think I can manage any sort of false smile or feigned enthusiasm for being "part of the team" again.

No thanks.

So, for about the last month I have been pushing myself daily to create designs that might sell on a couple different sites that do print-on-demand services similar to Cafe Press. One key aspect is that the services must allow me to share the images anywhere and in any manner that I wish, including but not limited to offering them for sell on a different site or service. I want to retain and maintain all rights to my work.

Now doing graphic design work is not something I have done for myself in decades and all my artwork has been under direction and within the scope of my employer's personal tastes, a corporate style guide, and some sort of brand mentality.

All of which has been extremely stifling and imagination-numbing.

And when it wasn't the blah of doing a web image or some other BS crap, it was having to create marketing plans for something or other. All of which sapped my creativeness for decades. I played within the lines and rarely rocked the boat.

So that brings me to here.

I just completed my 21st design yesterday which ain't much compared to a lot of other people out there that are far younger than myself, but there it is.

I have no idea if I can pull this off and some days are definitely more heartbreaking than others. The odds are stacked against me and without any real capital, they often seem to be made of adamantium and imbued with the fierceness of the Hulk. Beating me down and making it difficult as fuck to get up and create yet another piece that will fall into an abyss of nothing.

I have only sold a couple of items at this point outside my own circle and at 12+ hours per day that is less than a nickle per hour thus far.

All that said, I am open to suggestions and comments.

Check them out HERE and HERE.

Some of the designs I really like and some of them I hate that I did them.

The Happy Dog Pirate and the Cat on Cat designs sold of their own accord outside my circle. Just FYI.

I have really resisted doing the plain text designs of something like "IT'S BEER-THIRTY SOMEWHERE!" but I sometimes wonder if that is a mistake.

Any who. Like I said, I am open to suggestions and comments. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:34 am 

Not sure what you're doing for marketing, but I generally only buy art from people who I follow on Instagram, and only do so because they post updates regularly. You'll find that annoying people with Instagram stories is the fastest way to gain an audience, and a potential revenue stream. Facebook is nowhere near as useful (and only works if you promote your content). This also reflects the advertising I produce for clients - they see a far better ROI from Instagram content, than they do from any other platform. Post your stuff on Deviantart and a few subreddits as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:40 am 
Singularity ∞

Ditto what Chris said. Facebook = not a great venue for this. Instagram = the PERFECT venue for it, but you need a steady, ongoing stream of content. It's basically a part-time job.

Oh, and mixing some of that e "IT'S BEER-THIRTY SOMEWHERE!" stuff into the mix (but with cool and unique design and graphics) is, unfortunately, probably not a terrible idea.

Designs look great, by the way. Something like the Pawnisher, I can totally see people picking up on, no doubt about it. It's great!

The difficulty here is that you really, REALLY need to be on top of social media all the time, otherwise this won't go anywhere. Another friend is doing some stuff like this, too, and that's where he's faltering. Just not building that social media following.

Which I hate, hate, hate, but that's how it is now.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:43 am 

Echoing Chris and Shoe. Instagram is where you'll see more interest.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:34 am 
Black Hole

Nice.

I have just re-started my Instagram a couple weeks ago (had it for forever but never done anything with it).

We've been slamming the FB crowd fairly hard and Mrs. Pender has been amazing considering that she HATES social media and, to be honest, technology (internet, computers, phones, etc.).

I have been using Twitter a lot for the last 2 weeks also - and on my Teespring account a lot of my designs have charity donations built-in and that has opened the door to getting some tweets liked by the charities themselves, but no retweets and no originating tweets from them.

Like I said, we have been working at least 12 hours a day - my alarm goes off at 6am and I am at the computer for 90% of the time until about 6 or 7pm. Every day.

Any tips on Instagram would be great. I have no problem marketing - but my experience is with lead generation and not with conversions. FB is great for lead generation campaigns and so I have stuck with that through this first month.

I have been trying to get at least 1 design done per day, but some of the more detailed designs have taken time (whether creatively or mechanically) and that is why I have considered the simple text "designs" to get a few of them under my belt and out there.

I appreciate the advice.

I guess I need to learn Deviantart and Reddit, too.

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:41 am 

Deviantart and Reddit are more community-driven (like this place), where you would build up a following, based on comments posted about your work. Deviantart has the added bonus of offering direct sales of any artwork you post (sort of like redbubble, etc.). Reddit is just a "hey, look at me and my stuff" forum, and there are dozens of subs you can cross-post to (and, of course, make your own sub). The most successful artists on social media, are the ones that build an audience by sharing not just what they do, but how they do it (so, posting photos of works-in-progress, or a timelapse video of your workflow, etc.). Of course, this will open the floodgates to negativity, so you need to have the willpower to ignore the shit comments.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:54 am 
Singularity ∞

Re: social media, consider using Hootsuite or a similar service that allows you to pre-schedule to a number of platforms, that way you don't have to be on top of making posts every day. You can sit down on a Sunday afternoon and do the next week or two in advance, or blast out a whole month at a time.

That DOES mean you might not be as on top of responding to comments as you should be, but even that you can address by at least quickly checking in each day. At the very least, having the peace of mind of knowing a bunch of content is going out is good.

Unless you like social media, of course, in which case the best approach is to use it as intended, be on their daily, etc.

(I have grown to hate social media and if it wasn't for several factors, I'd have already unplugged all my accounts.)

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:22 pm 
Pollution Baby

My daughter says they are 'cool'

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:04 pm 
Black Hole

Ericubus wrote:
My daughter says they are 'cool'

High damn praise, indeed. Let her know it is very much appreciated. Seriously. Impressing the young is not simple. So I really do thank her.

I have been doing a lot of research into public domain stuff and started cherry-picking stuff that has poked out at me. Including one of my all-time favorite films. That is the one I am working on right now.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:35 pm 
Black Hole

You guys get the finished design for my latest anti-Nazi design I've been wanting to do (and I actually started writing a lot of the story for this as well).

Spoiler: show
Attachment:
SgtPanda-WEB.jpg
SgtPanda-WEB.jpg [ 913.14 KiB | Viewed 638 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:10 am 

That looks great!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:30 am 
Pollution Baby

I would not be able to not buy that if seen in a store.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:39 am 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
That looks great!

Ericubus wrote:
I would not be able to not buy that if seen in a store.

Careful, I might hold you to that. :lol:

I just put it up in my Teespring storefront and put it on the "Next Level Tee" because they had an olive drab color that looks pretty sick, IMHO. It also donates directly to the Wounded Warrior Project. Which is really cool, I think.

Sgt. Panda only smokes premium rolled bamboo cigars.

8-)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:42 am 
Pollution Baby

I want to read it!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:51 am 
Black Hole

Ericubus wrote:
I want to read it!

I have been fleshing out a lot of the backstory and hope to have some more content soon.

The best thing is, I want to write it, too! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:07 am 
Pollution Baby

:cheers:

Order Number: bdeb22b6c1fe5cab

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:12 am 
Black Hole

Ericubus wrote:

:D :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:37 am 
Singularity ∞

That looks awesome!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:42 am 
Black Hole

Ericubus wrote:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

They yanked it for an unknown reason. I have pinged them to ask why so I can adjust the design.

Sigh.

Fucking super sigh. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:50 am 

probably because your design references a certain organization that gets flagged by most search engines as hate speech.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:13 am 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
probably because your design references a certain organization that gets flagged by most search engines as hate speech.

You are correct and I have asked if I remove the word NAZI from my design, will it be allowed to proceed. The real question is, if I do so, will Ericubus be okay with that or is it a deal-breaker?

:(

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:40 am 
Pollution Baby

I prefer it with, but, no, not a deal breaker.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:45 am 
Pollution Baby

And FYI, A Boy and His Dog is now is the public domain, just sayin'

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:59 am 

Ericubus wrote:

Seriously? I cannot imagine Ellison letting that happen.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:01 am 
Black Hole

Ericubus wrote:
I prefer it with, but, no, not a deal breaker.

Well, Mrs. Pender put the original on Redbubble and it seems okay for now (but obviously their shirts are not going to match the cool military green one on Teespring). Redbubble is an Australian company so they might be okay with killing Nazis.

Redbubble also does not have the charity aspect.

But I am uploading the new design on Teespring right now. I will put the link when I am finished.

I had to dump the word Nazi and also the Swastika.

:(

But if you aren't pissing people off, then you aren't doing it right. Right?

Yes, A Boy And His Dog is definitely on my radar. I want to do one for that as well since I love the movie.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:01 am 

Kimfair wrote:
Ericubus wrote:

I think the one is the public Domain is the 1946 short film. No way in hell Ellison would let the novel go into the PD, and he WILL sue as he's a contentious bastard if anyone steps on his copyright.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:11 am 

Default copyright laws in the US are 70 years beyond the life of an author, or 120 years if the works are owned by a corporate entity. Chances are, most books published in the 20th century will never see public domain in your lifetime.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:31 am 
Black Hole

Kimfair wrote:
Kimfair wrote:
Ericubus wrote:

I think the one is the public Domain is the 1946 short film. No way in hell Ellison would let the novel go into the PD, and he WILL sue as he's a contentious bastard if anyone steps on his copyright.

Many sources online confirm that the copyright on the original film (starring Don Johnson) had lapsed and had been erroneously done at the start and that Harlan, whom had a major beef with the internet in general, railed against any type of idea that this film is in PD.

That said, many sites list it and offer it as free-to-view, with some YouTube versions having been up close to 6+ years or more.

Harlan had supposedly filed a new copyright for the VHS, but again, it seems to be filled with holes and he has yet done anything to anyone using the film.

And with plenty of cases where others were not pursued, a lack of proof to show that any wealth is currently being generated by the film, and the general consensus that the copyright is shit, well, I doubt I would be pursued by Mr. Ellison and if I were, I would just stop trying to market anything directly pulled from the film.

Until then, I do love the image of Don Johnson and the dog scoping a distant target from the desert.

It is an iconic image and I will be using it.

For my own profit.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:53 am 
Black Hole

The new, non-Nazi, design here.

I lifted the tagline from one of the original Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos comic book covers, so it is very much still in the vein of the inspiration.

The original read, D-Day for Dum-Dum!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:57 am 

I would have thought the copyright of the film would have been ties in with the copyright of the written work (which is absolutely not in the PD). You're probably good as long as you stick to the film, and not the book.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:04 pm 
Black Hole

Kimfair wrote:
I would have thought the copyright of the film would have been ties in with the copyright of the written work (which is absolutely not in the PD). You're probably good as long as you stick to the film, and not the book.

That is what I figure, too.

As I did a lot of PD research, it surprised me that it was on the list along with The Night of the Living Dead (60s version) and The Last Man on Earth (1964).

All of which have tales of failure along with them.

But, considering the breadth of films made all the time, there are surprisingly few that have fallen to PD.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:07 pm 
Black Hole

The original Nazi design is still up and running on Redbubble, so Mrs. Pender added it to our available shirts there.

This is the one on their "military green" which doesn't look the same as Teespring, but I think their images are just not as high end as Teespring.

LINK TO NAZI VERSION

Let me know if you have any questions, Ericubus.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:56 pm 

Just FYI, The movie "A Boy and his Dog" was incorrectly copyrighted in 1975, thus made public. However, the 1982 VHS release (and every subsequent release of the film since then) was re-edited with additional footage, and correctly copyrighted. For all intents and purposes, the film is not in public domain.

However, just like everyone else on redbubble, you skirt this whole thing by making your work derivative. Mix in something from another movie, and it becomes a parody (and thus protected). Disney (and others) still routinely pulls down derivative works, since the new content could (and usually does) violate trademark laws (not copyright laws, which are completely different).

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:00 pm 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
Just FYI, The movie "A Boy and his Dog" was incorrectly copyrighted in 1975, thus made public. However, the 1982 VHS release (and every subsequent release of the film since then) was re-edited with additional footage, and correctly copyrighted. For all intents and purposes, the film is not in public domain.

However, just like everyone else on redbubble, you skirt this whole thing by making your work derivative. Mix in something from another movie, and it becomes a parody (and thus protected). Disney (and others) still routinely pulls down derivative works, since the new content could (and usually does) violate trademark laws (not copyright laws, which are completely different).

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:20 am 
Pollution Baby

Tees is still saying my order went through.