It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:50 pm 

Chris,

Is it a good idea to buy a decent 1080P projector right now, or are the days of an affordable 4K projector right around the corner?

I've been running a 720P projector since late 2008. It still has some life, but I see some decent refurbished projectors that are 1080P for like $600. It's tempting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:55 pm 

And for the record, I'm one of those people that can't look at DLP tech without being "I see fucking rainbows everywhere" so it's pretty much LCD or LCOS or bust.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:45 pm 

If you have to ask, you can't afford a 4K projector. Same with laser projectors. They are purposely priced into the stratosphere, to avoid mass consumption. You will literally be competing with a movie theater that invested over $100K on their bullshit 3D-enhanced 4K projector with the exact same guts. No way they'll be affordable until 4K media is everywhere.

1080p LCD projectors are just fine. Just get a better screen to boost the contrast a bit. It really helps.

DLP projectors are migraine-inducing, so I'm on the same page there (and the most popular cheap models are DLP, so be careful).

I have a Panasonic projector that's a few years old now, but it works - and I haven't seen anything under $2K that blows it away. Try to get something that pumps out a shitload of lumens. I'll take that over resolution any day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:57 pm 

Yes, I am too poor for 4K.

I'm looking at this thing, which is old at this point, but looks solid.
https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Home ... 1H501020-N
I've been rockin' a Panasonic since 2008 and it has served me well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:02 pm 

that's pretty similar to mine (PT-AE8000)...about the same brightness, and less than half what I spent, so yeah, I'm sure it rocks. Just make sure replacement bulbs are not too expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:08 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
that's pretty similar to mine (PT-AE8000)...about the same brightness, and less than half what I spent, so yeah, I'm sure it rocks. Just make sure replacement bulbs are not too expensive.

Yeah. Though honestly I'd probably just get another projector if the bulb died (with reasonable life on the projector)

I just checked, no idea if the memory was reset or not on my current projector, but it only has 1100 hours on it in the past 8 years.