It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tablet Recommendation
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:51 am 
HMFIC

Got any? Main purpose would be to replace the portable DVD players my kids use on long trips, so it'd need an SD card slot and a headphone jack. Also probably some kids' games and Internet access. Durability is more of a necessity than blinding performance.

Go.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:25 pm 

Fire tablet? They're dirt cheap, and pretty decent. Otherwise, pretty much any well known brand (Samsung, Asus, Acer) tablet is going to be about the same. I think the iPads just came down in price as well, but that tethers you to iTunes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:34 am 
Pollution Baby

I know this isn't exactly what you asked for, but we have both iPads and Nabi 2's for the kids and end up using the Nabi most and they are WAAAAAY less expensive, about $70.

Reasons...

You can easily copy movies/music over to a micro SD card through either USB port or just taking the card out and plug it into your PC, and they play most formats.

Almost any game available for Android phones are also here for easy download through Google Play, including Minecraft Pocket Edition, and when you purchase it on your account, you can install it on both.

Durability, you can purchase (or sometimes comes with it) a rubber guard for them that make them virtually indestructible. Ours have bounced down stairs, been dropped in many parking lots and tile floors, you'd never know.

Has headphone jack.

Rechargeable batteries which last a decent amount of time.

Easy parental controls for downloading or purchasing apps.

Any of our car rides over 30 minutes always has them.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:52 pm 
HMFIC

That sounds like exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:08 pm 
Pollution Baby

Cool.
Oh ya, and Netflix.

The only thing we use the iPads for is Osmo and Skype. They have friends that moved down to South Carolina.

If you do end up getting them, the only issues with movies is sometimes the sound level. Just keep that in mind when ripping/converting/searching for them.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:45 pm 
HMFIC

Too low? I'll keep that in mind.

How long ago did you buy them? The model you linked to seems sold out everywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:41 pm 
Pollution Baby

Eric wrote:
Too low? I'll keep that in mind.
Yes, I had to redue one film because of the low sound levels.

Eric wrote:
How long ago did you buy them? The model you linked to seems sold out everywhere.
One was 2 the other 4 years ago and I guess are now discontinued. The newest inexpensive ones are the Nabi SE and Nabi ELEV-8, which are $80 - $150. Both of which you can still use micro SD cards up to 32GB, and copy/play video files. I can't speak to their durability or battery life, but they do have the thick rubber cases/covers as well.

You can get a refurbished Nabi 2 for $50 or so.