It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New receiver?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:39 pm 
Cavern

My 8 year old Onkyo seems to have blown out the front left channel. It stopped working today and I've tried different types of speaker wire and 2 different types of speakers and I get no signal. So I assume I'm going to have to buy a new receiver. I need one with a lot of inputs; I may not have upgraded my equipment in a long time, but I have a lot of it.

One HD-DVR. 3 DVD players (one upconverting via DVI). One XBOX (it uses digital audio optical, and component, it is not an XBOX 360). One LD player, analog sound. One double tape deck. One computer with digital audio out (coax) and HDMI out. My TV is 720P and has 3 HDMI inputs, 1 VGA, 2 Component, etc.

Any suggestions for a versatile receiver? The living room is quite small, so more than 5.1 isn't needed, and I've got all the equipment on my desk since there's no room for an entertainment center. In other words, overheating is not a problem. Price range is $200-400.

Post subject: Re: New receiver?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:21 am 
Sinkhole

Read this 'Blu-ray' thread, because it turned into a receiver recommendations thread.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=813

Last week I bought the Pioneer 1020k mentioned, and it seems great so far.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:50 am 

Were you happy with the Onkyo? If so, I'd start there - and if you aren't happy with the features in that price range, move on to Pioneer (best bang for the buck), or even the $399 Marantz 1501 I recommended to Eric (which has fewer features, but sounds fantastic). Almost all receivers are the same in this price range, so it's better to lean toward a brand you're familiar with (unless you absolutely need a specific function).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:08 pm 
Cavern

Onkyo support walked me through a receiver reset as the final option for getting the speaker to work. It worked. So, never mind buying a new receiver.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:58 am 
Sinkhole

OdisN wrote:
Read this 'Blu-ray' thread, because it turned into a receiver recommendations thread.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=813

The power supply in my Pioneer apparently bit the dust a couple of days ago. Thanks a lot for the recommendation!

:down:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:15 pm 

OdisN wrote:
OdisN wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=813

The power supply in my Pioneer apparently bit the dust a couple of days ago. Thanks a lot for the recommendation!

From that thread:
Me wrote:
Under $500, most receivers are pretty much the same. And by that, I mean you get decent sound, and a power supply that might crap out in a month or 10 years.

The 1020K is/was definitely a great receiver, but like all of the cheap models out there (and it is cheap), you get what pay for. The PSU in those things isn't that expensive to replace, but unless you get a power conditioner for it, it'll likely happen again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:17 pm 
Sinkhole

No worries. I used it as an excuse to upgrade to a Sony STRDN1030, which will allow me to stream music via Bluetooth.

I'll try to replace the PSU in the Pioneer and then dump it on Craigslist.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:56 pm 

Yeah, I think I need to upgrade my receiver soon. I love pairing my phone with the PS3 (for Netflix), and would love to do the same with the TV and sound.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:17 pm 
Canyon

Chris Knight wrote:
I love pairing my phone with the PS3 (for Netflix)

I was unaware you could do this with Netflix -- is it similar to how you can do it with YouTube?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:30 pm 

The used receiver I took off Ericubus' hands a couple years ago was working fine until about a month ago when it started randomly changing volumes every few minutes. It would go up and down, up and down, more down than up, but sometimes it would get stupid loud. Not cool. Replaced it last week with a Pioneer VSX-522 which was on sale for $199.99 at Best Buy. It's nothing special, but I'm not an audiophile and it has the features I want, mainly HDMI switching. Works great so far except one thing: My Roku box won't play audio going straight HDMI to the receiver. I found references online to others having the same issue. Hope it can be fixed. For now, I just run the HDMI for the Roku straight into my TV and run the audio from it back from the TV to the receiver with an optical digital cable. Not a huge bother.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:09 pm 

The Roku can't handle lossless audio anyway, so you're not losing out on anything, Red. Yes, it's an extra cable, but at least you have all the connections to make it happen.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:51 am 
HMFIC

So, this Marantz receiver sounds like it's dying. For about six months, it's reacted with a bunch of weird electronic sounds, pops and glitches and squeaks, instead of the Blu-Ray audio for the first five minutes or so after it's turned on, gradually dying out and letting the normal sound through. Easy compensation for that: don't turn it off.

But in the last day or so, I'm starting to hear some of those sounds while it's playing. Pops and sustained high-pitched tones, mostly. Occasional, but it's a new thing to hear them at any time but right after turning the unit on, and I doubt it's going to get better.

So, to those of you who know more about these things than me (mainly Video): recommendations for a new, relatively cheap receiver? Replacing the Marantz 1501 Chris Knight recommended to me five years ago. Or is there some fix that hasn't occurred to me?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:52 am 

Man, that blows. If it's a routine thing, then it's a voltage problem (and since the problem goes away after a few minutes, it's definitely a capacitor that's having issues while it's charging up; it's probably ready to die). You could try contacting Marantz (they have 3 year warranties, but they might be nice about it). Try switching the audio from one format to another (DTS to DD, for instance), since that will use a separate audio circuit. If the problem is still there, the issue is on the main amplifier (thus unavoidable).

I'm pretty clueless about new receivers these days, since I haven't needed a new one in a very long time. I'd start researching what's out there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:13 pm 
HMFIC

Pretty sure it doesn't happen with cable, so it can't be the main amp. I'll play with settings and maybe I can limp on with this one for a while. Don't want to replace it if I don't have to.

That said, if somebody has a recommendation, I still might need it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:21 pm 
Pollution Baby

Amazon is having a deal of the day on the Yamaha RX-A840BL, normally around $750 - $850, is $499 today.

Some reviews...

http://www.soundvisionreview.com/hi-fi- ... 40-review/

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver- ... 0-rx-a2040

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:05 am 
Pollution Baby

And if you missed the Yamaha...

Amazon is having a deal of the day on the Pioneer VSX-1130-K, normally around $590, is $429.99 today.

Here are some reviews and posts...

AVSForum

av-receivers

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:52 pm 
HMFIC

I very much appreciate the recommendations. However, based on Chris Knight's recommendations, I delved into the settings and realize that I (or very possibly my son, by mashing buttons randomly while trying to get Star Wars Rebels to play from a USB drive without knowing how to read) had the amp set to convert everything to DD. I reset it to play everything with native sound format and haven't heard a pop since. Thinking the short might have been in the part of the machine that does the conversion.

If the problem reoccurs, I'll be looking into what you've posted and/or asking for new recommendations. As of now, I'm not fucking with it. But again, I do appreciate you looking out for me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:06 pm 

cool beans.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:09 pm 
Pollution Baby

Oh, I've done that. I've come home and started watching something with the setting so fucked up I can't even figure out how they did it. One time, my son had changed the audio offset on XMBC (Kodi now) and I wish I had a recording of the phone conversation with my wife trying to explain what was wrong, then trying to follow my directions to fix it. . .

ME: OK, there should by one setting listed as 'audio offset' . . .
HERE: Why would I want to set the audio to 'off'?
ME: :palm on forehead gentle wrapping: It's not . . . just click on it, OK?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:30 am 
HMFIC

Eric wrote:
If the problem reoccurs, I'll be looking into what you've posted and/or asking for new recommendations. As of now, I'm not fucking with it. But again, I do appreciate you looking out for me.

Problem recurred. Thinking of this one:

Yamaha RX-A740BL 7.2-Channel Wi-Fi Network AVENTAGE Home Theater Receiver

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:39 am 
HMFIC

Or even this:

Sony STRDH750 7.2 Channel 4K AV Receiver

I don't really play music through it. I only use two HDMI inputs (BR & Xbox), and our cable is standard-def. I think this is all I really need, but some of you guys are much more into this sort of thing than I am, and I might be overlooking something.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:59 am 

The Sony looks like it's easy to set up. The Yamaha has a few more features, and will be louder (and a bit hotter, presumably). It looks like the Sony model will not send standard def audio/video to the HDMI output, so it would treat them as a separate input to your TV (and I can't tell if the Yamaha does or does not do this). Not sure if that's a shift in your current setup.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:28 pm 
HMFIC

I've got the SD cable running through the receiver's HDMI output right now, but my TV has A/V and coaxial inputs. Not a dealbreaker. Leaning toward the Sony.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:25 pm 
HMFIC

I doubt anybody else is looking for a receiver to fit quite the same niche, but it arrived and it works, though I'm going to have to buy a universal remote to replace the four currently on my side table (forgot that the Marantz remote did that, too). No more annoying popping sound.