It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:10 pm 

I didn't realize Europe had moved onto Holodecks...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:30 pm 

With HD there is NO reason whatsofacepalmever left to buy a TV ever again*. How can one, in 2012, consider himself a cineast and not watch movies via projectors on 100+ inch canvases?

*unless it's this puppy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:00 pm 

Well, as someone who is obsessed with image quality, I can tell you my plasma TV produces a much nicer image than my projector - so, there's plenty of room for sub-100" TVs in 2012. With 60" sets now priced at under $1000, I would agree that there's no reason to own a small set.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:14 pm 

Also, Sony, and (I think) Sharp, are releasing 4K TV sets next year (producing the exact same resolution as digital projectors in movie theaters), and the PS4 console will upconvert Blu-Rays to 4K (and Sony said they will have true 4K content, outside of video games, as well). Sony's 4k projector for homes, which has been out for a while, costs $25k, about 6-7 times more than the TVs will cost.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:55 pm 

I'm chuckling.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:05 pm 

HDTV's...also good for video games. Another item high on Ried's "THIS IS NOT WORTHY" list, which seems to include anything popular and anything unpopular that is becoming popular.

:lol:

I bet if you listen close enough you can hear the grandfather clock in Ried's apartment ticking.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:38 am 

If anyone wants to buy me this TV for my backyard, I'd be ever so happy:

http://www.cseed.tv/design/movie.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:19 pm 
Pollution Baby

Chris Knight wrote:

OK, but you'll have to install it yourself.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:39 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:

That thing would pretty much solve ALL problems Monty ever had with women.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:34 am 

Chris, you should really update from a backyard. A lot of us forward thinkers caught up in the tide of the times have moved on to "fields". You can do a lot more in a field.

Fences? Try walls covered with art deco tile, which is applied with Elmer's glue sticks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:27 am 

I never read a post of Zypn's without listening to a Magical Mystery Tour song.

And of couse I don't have to actually pop in the album to "hear" it, when reading Zypnisms.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:08 pm 

:)

I don't remember much about writing that OR what I was really trying to say.

Love.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:34 pm 

Hey, Chris Knight, I think I need a new TV. My now seven year old Panasonic has taken to only powering on about half the time I want it to work. Not cool. It's been a great TV, but it's getting old and it's only 720p. Figure now's as good a time as any to upgrade.

What TV should I buy? I'd like to keep it under $800 and around 55".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:59 pm 

I'm not in the market for a TV (I'm holding out for TVs that don't exist yet), but if I was, I would probably get a Vizio. Their current models have built-in Chromecast gizmos (you use your own phone or tablet, or the included Android tablet to control the TV). Which I love and use every day (and is vastly superior to smart apps included by other TV manufacturers). If you don't like the idea of being tied to Android to watch TV, you'll probably need to avoid Vizio.

I bought my daughter and her boyfriend a 49" LG for Christmas, and they seem to like it quite a bit. I bought that, because it was cheap and simple to use (also had great reviews).

I would avoid Samsung, as they seem to be suffering from some major light bleed issues. Lot of unhappy customers bitching about it. Otherwise, I would think no one brand is significantly better than another (all these TVs are made in the same Chinese factory). The good news is you don't have to spend a lot. A decent 55" will set you back no more than $600-700.

The only reason to spend more, is to get an add-on gimmick called HDR...which is useless if you don't own a 4K Blu-Ray player. This will add about $400-800 to the price of the TV, but you won't notice the difference.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't be more specific - I'm not a fan of LCD TVs, and I'm hoping I can ride out my plasma until OLED sets show up en masse.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:25 pm 
Black Hole

Well, I think a Vizio would succeed for numerous reasons. It is a television set of great features, which most television sets would be. But it is a television set of great features, but it is also a television set that does something that is a very vital thing to do at this time. Ten years before or 20 years ago, what that set is doing would never have even been thought possible. So the television does something that is a very important thing to do, and especially at this time. And Samsung failed, I think to a certain extent, because of its issues. You know? It is just those issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:57 pm 
Pollution Baby

Personally, you should be pre-ordering the LG OLED W-Series 77 inch. The starting price will be around $14,000.00, but it is what all the cool kids are doing.

You mount it with magnets!

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:12 pm 

yeah, OLED is where it's at, except very few announced sets are adding Dolby Vision, which is a HDR technology Disney has been using (and pushing for). This means Marvel, Pixar, and Star Wars franchises would all (potentially) benefit from consumer sets using it. Also, it might get Disney to release some 4K content. So, don't waste your money on expensive TVs in 2017.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:17 pm 
Pollution Baby

Chris Knight wrote:
yeah, OLED is where it's at, except very few announced sets are adding Dolby Vision, which is a HDR technology Disney has been using (and pushing for). This means Marvel, Pixar, and Star Wars franchises would all (potentially) benefit from consumer sets using it. Also, it might get Disney to release some 4K content. So, don't waste your money on expensive TVs in 2017.
Besides Sony, who else is offering OLED (or even QLED) with Dolby Vision?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:24 pm 

Philips, TCL and LG have announced Dolby Vision sets. Lionsgate, WB and Universal have announced software with Dolby Vision encodes. I'm sure more will leak over the next few days, but I think it's way too early to jump into OLED sets without thinking about upgrading again in a year.

FYI, I think the Sony sets announced this week are actually LG TVs with Sony tech incorporated. So, I would expect Sony to just follow with whatever LG does.

Panasonic is a big holdout, and I'm a softie for them, so I'll wait to see what they do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:46 pm 
Pollution Baby

Ya, I'm still bummed that Panasonic got out of the plasma business, not to long before my dog killed mine.

Right now I'm waiting until the 65'' OLEDs (not curved) come down under $2k from reputable dealers. They are damn close, and I'm still using the 32'' LCD I brought down from the guest room as my temp TV.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:26 pm 

The fuck? You can get 50" TVs for a few hundred. Surely that's a better compromise than sticking it out with a 32".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:16 am 
Pollution Baby

Chris Knight wrote:
The fuck? You can get 50" TVs for a few hundred. Surely that's a better compromise than sticking it out with a 32".

I can get a shitty 50'' for a few hundred. I'd rather watch a good 32'' and save the money for the much better 65''. The 32'' is a damn good 32'' set, I bought 2 at the time, one for the master bedroom one for the guest room. If I put in a shitty 50'' I would just get annoyed while watching it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:01 am 

I ended up getting a Sharp Aquos N7000, 55" UHD TV. I looked at the Vizios as Chris suggested and they're nice TVs, but I wanted a TV with a digital tuner (I dropped cable awhile ago so I need something to get OTA channels - which I get over 60 of here in Philly), and I'm not really a fan of Chromecast (I've had one for years and it's one of the few Google products I didn't love). This TV has pretty good reviews and at $579, I'm happy with it. Nice to get a 55" 4K TV to replace my 50" 720p TV at $120 less than what I paid for that TV.

http://www.techhive.com/article/3092247 ... rt-of.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:50 pm 
Black Hole

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for crazy deals on new sets, 4k preferable, I guess.

I don't actually need one. My set is fine. Not great, but fine. It's a 50" Panasonic Viera, a good few years old at this point, 720p/1080i, but does not support 1080p. Gets the job done. I don't need an upgrade. Not worth it to me.

Unless there is some deal so stupidly good I can't ignore it.

And then I'll have to get the upgraded Xbox One, too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:47 pm 

Every TV right now is a stupid good deal. If you want quality comparable to your plasma, then OLED is the way to go. A 55" will set you back $1,500, and that's a 50 percent price drop from a year ago.

Alternatively, just get a 55"* HDR 4K LCD, for about $600-800. LG and Vizio are both good brands, and I'm sure Sony and Panasonic are as well (but those latter two will be pricier). Just avoid Samsung, which has been having lighting issues with their TV sets for about a year now.

If you're a complete cheapskate, then get a non-HDR 55" set for about $400-500. BEAR IN MIND that black levels on a LCD suck, compared to your plasma. Black = dark gray.

Dell is having some great deals, where you get a $150-400 gift card with the purchase of a TV (good if you're planning on getting a laptop, but you can also resell the card). Sam's Club and Costco are also selling their sets at a ridiculous discount (theses tend to be older models, hence the steep discounts).

I'm sure Amazon and B&H will have some amazing deals over the next two weeks.

* A 55" LCD/OLED set is exactly the same width as your current plasma. If you get a 50" TV in 2017, it will feel smaller than your current set.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:21 pm 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
* A 55" LCD/OLED set is exactly the same width as your current plasma. If you get a 50" TV in 2017, it will feel smaller than your current set.

I'm not following. Is this because the screen goes all the way to the edge or something?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:48 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:

I'm not following. Is this because the screen goes all the way to the edge or something?

You are following. Yes, modern TVs have smaller bezels, so the screen gets much closer to the edge of the set. A 55" LCD set is 48.5" wide, about the same as your 50" plasma.

I'm just providing you with the info you can use to justify to certain other members of your household why getting a bigger TV is better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:00 pm 
Black Hole

That is good information. Means I can tell the other that it won't take up any more space than the current one.