It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:26 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
I don't know. Power outage? Are you sure you're watching true HD channels, and not 4x3 channels playing letterboxed movies?

Definitely watching HD channels. I think what might have happened is that we used to use our cable remote to shut off the TV, now we use the TV remote, and the wife may have shut off the cable box by mistake, perhaps resetting it. In any case I'll check out the other stuff when I get home.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:27 am 

Women. It's always women.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:18 pm 

So who the fuck knows why it happened, but the TV was set to TV not HDMI cable. Of course when I switched back (after resetting my DVD recorder for 16:9 TV), everything looked great, but oops! No sound! fuck me! So I rebooted the cable box with the old on/off, and it reset the sound, so everything is hunky dory. Still no fucking clue how it got all fucked like that, the wife is denying all responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:43 pm 

Rip the RF cable out the back (ever so gently), so the only way the box can send a signal is via HDMI.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:53 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
Rip the RF cable out the back (ever so gently), so the only way the box can send a signal is via HDMI.

Yeah, but I need the RF cable (connected to my DVD recorder). It should be cool, and if not, I know now how to fix it. Of course the wife will probbaly fuck it up again as soon as she uses her Wii (of course she wants another tutorial on how to use that). She is the least electronic savvy person I know, and that's coming from ME!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:29 am 

The RF cable would go to the DVD recorder, but you can connect the DVD recorder to the TV using component or HDMI (depending on the model). No RF cable needs to be connected to the TV.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:43 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
The RF cable would go to the DVD recorder, but you can connect the DVD recorder to the TV using component or HDMI (depending on the model). No RF cable needs to be connected to the TV.

The techs who delivered the TV set up the DVD recorder with component and RF cable. One of the things I tried last night was disconnecting the RF cable from the DVD recorder, and everything seemed to work, will check if I reconnected it or not. Unfortunately my DVD recorder doesn't have HDMI connections.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:48 am 

They did that, so you wouldn't end up with a dead signal on the TV input. But that's exactly what you want, in case someone accidentally switches away from component or HDMI.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:12 am 

Gotcha!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:14 pm 
Black Hole

Kimfair wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:
1. Connect your cable box to your TV using a HDMI cable.

1. Done

I hope you didn't go with some cheap no name brand cables. If you want to get the best out of your home theater you need to spend the money on good cables. I highly recommend these cables if you don't want your TV to look like shit. Once I switched to them I'll never switch back.

Think of it this way: If you want coffee, are you going to make yourself a cup of Maxwell House instant? Of course you won't. You'll pay a little extra for good coffee and be glad you did. Same thing here.

Don't skimp. Cables are the single most important investment you can make in your home theater. If you're on a tight budget then you can probably settle on something like Monster cables -- good entry level brand -- but if you've got the bread spend a little more.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:39 pm 
Pollution Baby

Here, $1.24 less

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:39 pm 
Black Hole

Good find!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:51 pm 

Wow those are some bitching cables! Will they blow me as well as carry the signal from my BluRay player to the TV? If not, I just can't imagine them being worth the cash.

I love all the "reviews" funny shit.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:58 pm 

I would definitely recommend those cables if there was oral sex involved.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:24 pm 
Black Hole

65.6' Chocolate - when you absolutely have to get those 1s and 0s to the next house over.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:14 am 

Got the region-free DVD/Blu Ray player yesterday. Works great so far (plays my R2 and R3 discs fine with no video degradation - a problem with some of the players I was looking at), and plays Blu Rays fine, though I don't have any out of region Blu Rays to test it. I'm not planning on buying a ton of them anyway, but figured I'd get the capacity to play them in case I ever end up with one. It upscales nicely as well as standard DVD's look better through it than through my older DVD-recorder. I had the day off yesterday, but it came too late for me to watch Grindhouse, that will have to wait until Monday (my next day off).

I apologize, but I'm using the $5 HDMI cables that I bought at the discount store, since I spent plenty already on the TV and Blu Ray player. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:45 pm 
Black Hole

Kimfair wrote:
I apologize, but I'm using the $5 HDMI cables that I bought at the discount store, since I spent plenty already on the TV and Blu Ray player. :wink:

Enjoy your shitty picture, cheapskate. :loser:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:23 am 

Well the all-region dvd/blu player decided to stop working. Company was cool, they said to ship it back to them and they'd either fix or replace it. They have it now, waiting for the verdict.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:55 pm 

I love some companies. So I hadn't heard from the company that I sent the Blu Ray player back to, so I called today. They received the unit on 6/6/11 with a note explaining what was wrong with it and telling them what the guy I spoke to on the phone said (they'd repair or replace). So I call today and they're like:
"When did we get it?" - them
"6/6" - me
"OK, I see we have it. What was wrong with it?" - them
"It won't power up." - me
"OK, so do you want us to replace it?" - them
"Yeah, I payed for a working unit, I'd like one that works." - me
"OK we'll ship it out to you today." - them

So why the fuck haven't you shipped it out already? I did send you a note explaining everything in detail, as I was instructed to do. Why did I have to call you? Arghhh! Anyway, it seems like a new one's on the way, so we'll see what happens with this bad boy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:11 pm 

I know, I know, but I feel like annoying you...

You can get a 2 TB drive for $69.99. A BD-ROM drive (for copying Blu-Ray movies) is $59.99. The 2TB drive can hold 400+ heavily compressed Blu-Ray rips, or 62(ish) uncompressed (exact copy) Blu discs (or between 1,300 and 2,600 DVD-rips).

And by copying them to a drive, they automatically become region free, and playable on practically any modern media device (ie. a cheap Blu-Ray player that isn't modified).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:23 pm 

I know, I know, I'm a Luddite!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:50 am 
Black Hole

What's a Luddite good for?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:58 am 

Pender wrote:
What's a Luddite good for?

They are gods of fashion...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:14 pm 

CK, can you stand to watch compressed MKVs?

(honestly, it's at a point where pirated movies look pretty damn good... unless the video glitches and causes the sound to go out of sync and then you have to hit pause and play again... My dad seems to have this problem more than me.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:23 am 

New player arrived late last evening (after 6pm, but the UPS guy didn't ring the bell so I didn't see it until I took the trash out at 11pm). Will set up today after work, and hopefully all will be well. I did get the newer model to replace my previous non-working one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:49 am 

brian wrote:
CK, can you stand to watch compressed MKVs?

I hate MKVs, because they don't play on my PS3 (which is my go-to media player, only because it boots faster than my HTPC). Otherwise, I really don't mind any kind of compression of most movies. It's just on the movies I love, that I need the best quality available to me. And I don't trust anyone else to handle the QC, so I buy the BD, rip it, and compress it using my own settings (or not at all). Regardless, I keep my movies in mp4 format, no container.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:37 am 

New player is up and running, tested fine (out of region DVD and Blu's play great). Now lets see if it can survive more than a week of working (unlike the last one).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:54 pm 

Kimfair wrote:
New player is up and running, tested fine (out of region DVD and Blu's play great). Now lets see if it can survive more than a week of working (unlike the last one).

What player do you have Kimfair? My region-free DVD player went kaput, so I need to replace it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:28 pm 
Cavern

Noto wrote:
Kimfair wrote:

What player do you have Kimfair? My region-free DVD player went kaput, so I need to replace it.

The one I sold you 5 1/2 years ago? I'm surprised it got that far.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:04 pm 

Elmo Oxygen wrote:
Noto wrote:
Kimfair wrote:

The one I sold you 5 1/2 years ago? I'm surprised it got that far.

That would be the one. Great little player, but its time has passed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:22 pm 

Noto wrote:
Kimfair wrote:

I went through this company http://www.world-import.com/dvd.htm who retrofit players for region free DVD and Blu Ray capacity. I went with the LG BD630, as the Panasonic and Sharp models both get low marks for how region free DVD's look (which is primarily why I bought it). The out of region DVD's look great, as do Region A Blu Rays (don't have any out of region Blus), and their service was great as the quickly replaced my first lemon model with the next higher model (as they had no more of my original BD550) for no extra cost. They also sell much cheaper region free players, but I wanted one with the capacity to play region free DVD's as well as region free Blus.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:55 pm 

Any heads up on cyber Monday HDTV deals and where? I'm trying to find a good 55-60 inch for a little less than $1,000. Possible?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:53 pm 

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P60U ... B008KCSMHS

In addition to Amazon, most stores (walmart definitely) have this set on sale for between $900 and $1000. It's Panny's entry-level plasma (so, no apps/usb playback/only 2 HDMI inputs), but quite a deal at below $1k.

HHGregg has a few 60" sets for $850-899 (LG and Samsung).

Walmart has a Vizio 60" for $688 (normally $988).

Tigerdirect, Adorama, and B&H are going to have some sub-$1k 60" deals tomorrow as well.

I feel old when I remember paying nearly 1k for a 32" CRT in 1995.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:43 am 

Thanks, Chris. I'm probably going to lock one of those down in the next few minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:05 pm 

People still buy TVs?

*red-facepalm, green-facepalm, blue-facepalm*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next