It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:06 pm 

Awesome! Be sure to post some pics once the set has arrived.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:47 pm 

Awesome deal. When you get it, hit the THX mode, and you'll be set.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:53 am 
Pollution Baby

JOY!

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:28 am 

Guys just finished delivery and set up, and I'm ready to go. Man this fucking thing is gorgeous! Can't believe it took this long, but It's done. Fest 20 will be fucking EPIC now!

Real. Feelings.

Here's s farther shot with more of the living room.

A little closer with less flash glare.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:47 am 
Pollution Baby

Weeping, Man, weeping.

Did you hit the THX mode yet? The red looked a little hot in that pic, but it could just be the pic.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:49 am 

Ericubus wrote:
Weeping, Man, weeping.

Did you hit the THX mode yet? The red looked a little hot in that pic, but it could just be the pic.

Not yet, the guys set it up and ran. I need to figure out the remote to hit THX, or is it on the TV itself?

Also how much should I worry about "burn-in". Can I watch a letterboxed movie today?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:59 am 

THX mode has been turned on, pretty easy from remote. Definitely looks better now. Thanks. Can't wait to watch baseball!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:06 pm 

You really should avoid static images for the first few weeks of use (that includes black bars). Just use the APECT button on the remote to get around it temporarily.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:19 pm 
Pollution Baby

[EDIT] DUH!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:20 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
You really should avoid static images for the first few weeks of use (that includes black bars). Just use the APECT button on the remote to get around it temporarily.

Isn't that almost impossible? I mean, I was just flipping around channels, and every one has some sort of burn in image, either bars, logos or some such. How long is too long? If I want to watch a game, should I do something about the score box? The aspect button on zoom seems best, but the picture doesn't look quite as nice to me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:43 pm 
Black Hole

Kimfair wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:

Isn't that almost impossible? I mean, I was just flipping around channels, and every one has some sort of burn in image, either bars, logos or some such. How long is too long? If I want to watch a game, should I do something about the score box? The aspect button on zoom seems best, but the picture doesn't look quite as nice to me.

Believe me, it is not easy - but it is doable.

They key is to keep your remote handy and use it often (my cable remote has an HD Zoom button, which allowed me to zoom in and out to keep most of the opaque ESPN, CNN and other network BS logos and black scrolling banners from being on the set for anymore than about 3-5 minutes at a time).

It drove the wife and mom nuts, but after the 100 hours - I felt awesome in knowing I had done my best to preserve such beauty as 58-inches of PLASMA ORGASM.

Don't go soft.

Go hard.

You won't regret it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:25 pm 

What I was told to do was do an A/B loop of a 1:85.1 DVD chapter for a few hours each day to get through the burn-in period quicker (like, say, when you go to work). Granted, this'll sting when the power bill comes...

Anyways, sweet-looking TV. :thumbs: Fest #20 is gonna ROCK!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:46 pm 

Kimfair, it will be annoying for a while, but you'll come out of this knowing your friends with their crappy LCD TVs are way beneath you on the ladder of awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:05 pm 

I may do the loop idea, but probably when I'm asleep, turn it off in the morning before work. Right now we're more worried about getting out of here tomorrow in bad weather as we're heading out of town in the morning.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:03 pm 
Black Hole

I never felt comfortable leaving the screen on unattended.

But that is me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:32 am 

So by the time I go to bed tonight, I'll be at about 33 hours into the first 100 hours of the TV. I've been putting long movies on all day since we got back, zoomed for full screen, no logos or static images, no back credits. I've been using Avatar on HBO since it's free, and it has loads of movement and color. I wasn't a huge fan of the film when I saw it theatrically, but damn it looks fucking hot on this TV. Still don't need to see/own it, but I like the workout it's giving the new equipment!

So basically after "warming up" the plasma for those first 100 hours or so, you can watch a movie, show etc without worrying about any kind of burn-in in the future, from logos, letterboxes, etc?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:35 am 

Correct, although Shoe managed to fuck up his TV by playing video games (with static images) on it ALL day. I watch TV, movies, and occasional PS3/Wii games on my TVs - and have never had burn in. You will notice image retention when you turn off the television, but that goes away after a few minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:42 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
Correct, although Shoe managed to fuck up his TV by playing video games (with static images) on it ALL day.

The only time my TV will play that long will be at fest, and for that I figure some stuff will be letterboxed, some full frame, and we'll probably shut the TV off between films.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:42 pm 
Minor Depression

Set looks great, Kimfair. Can't wait for Fest 20!
Just got our 46-inch LCD mounted on the wall, best to keep it away from little fingers. I feel like I'm in one of those small multiplex theaters that proliferated in the 1970s.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:10 pm 

Have you bought a Blu-Ray player yet, Kimfair? You'll never want to go back to standard-def again once you've seen some of the best Blu transfers available (the James Bond movies look stunning).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:18 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:
Have you bought a Blu-Ray player yet, Kimfair? You'll never want to go back to standard-def again once you've seen some of the best Blu transfers available (the James Bond movies look stunning).

I'm starting to research multi region DVD/Bluray players. There is a Sharp, and a Panasonic that I need to do more research on. Also I think that I can use HDMI cables for my DVD Recorder (currently with regular cable), so I'll need to buy more. The OPPO is nice, but I'd like to spend less than $500 and I want it to be able to play multi region out of the box. I have a few Blu-Rays, I'm especially looking forward to seeing Grindhouse as it was originally presented theatrically.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:56 pm 

DVD recorders can not record using HDMI, only play back. US media distributors have made it nigh-impossible to record HD broadcasts on shiny discs.

Kimfair, your TV has Netflix built into it, so it wouldn't hurt to try it out ($8/month). If you're into Bond, Netflix now carries all the classic ones (non Daniel Craig titles) in HD, most of which are not available on Blu-Ray.

As for multi-region, this shouldn't be an issue for anyone in 2011. If it's not available in this region, it can be downloaded. If I have to import a disc, ripping it to another one (or to a hard drive) strips the region coding. Problem solved. A PS3 will play all your Blu-Ray discs, plus practically anything else from a hard/flash drive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:46 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
DVD recorders can not record using HDMI, only play back. US media distributors have made it nigh-impossible to record HD broadcasts on shiny discs.
Well that's one less expense for me.

Chris Knight wrote:
Kimfair, your TV has Netflix built into it, so it wouldn't hurt to try it out ($8/month). If you're into Bond, Netflix now carries all the classic ones (non Daniel Craig titles) in HD, most of which are not available on Blu-Ray.
Maybe I will. I don't care about Bond per se, but I would like an easy rental option.

Chris Knight wrote:
As for multi-region, this shouldn't be an issue for anyone in 2011. If it's not available in this region, it can be downloaded. If I have to import a disc, ripping it to another one (or to a hard drive) strips the region coding. Problem solved. A PS3 will play all your Blu-Ray discs, plus practically anything else from a hard/flash drive.

I'm not a downloader, neither am I interested in ripping my out of region discs to another disc to play them. I have a Wii, I'm not a gamer, so I'm not buying a PS3. I'll continue to research the two multi-region players I mentioned.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:18 am 

Kimfair wrote:
I have a Wii, I'm not a gamer, so I'm not buying a PS3. I'll continue to research the two multi-region players I mentioned.

I always recommend the PS3, because it's a solid (if not one of the best) Blu-Ray (and general media) player. Half the people I know who own one don't play games. Don't dismiss it, simply because it can play video games. There's a reason Criterion uses it (and only it) to test all their discs on.
The problem you'll find with multi-region players, is that they may not play nice with every Blu out there. It's easier (in my opinion) to remove the region restrictions from a disc, than to get a player with all-region capabilities.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:20 am 

Kimfair wrote:
I don't care about Bond per se, but I would like an easy rental option

Sorry, I only mentioned Bond, because Monty suggested it a few posts earlier. Netflix also carries every season of Melrose Place. So, there's that.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:10 am 
Pollution Baby

Chris Knight wrote:
Kimfair wrote:
I don't care about Bond per se, but I would like an easy rental option

Sorry, I only mentioned Bond, because Monty suggested it a few posts earlier. Netflix also carries every season of Melrose Place. So, there's that.

:)

And approximately 5 billion B-Movies.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:21 am 

I'm less worried about playing out of region Blues than the out of region DVD's that I already own. I see that both players I'm looking at can be wonky with out of region Blues, but again that's not a huge issue for me. as both are well reviewed for out of region DVD play.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:49 pm 

Most BDs aren't even region coded. Those that are, generally suck (quality, not content), or get a US release within 6-12 months. So, yes, you are looking at the proper criteria for a multi-region BD player.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:14 pm 
Pollution Baby

While you're being wishy-washy on your Netflix assimilation, I'll be enjoying Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:03 am 

My first 100 hours of plasma comes to a close this evening. Can't wait to watch TV without worrying. Don't worry, I won't watch anything that's the same letterbox for 6 or 7 hours or anything like that!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:31 am 

Congrats, Kimfair. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:02 am 

So question. I have noticed recently that when I have the TV set to FULL, TV shows that were once 1.85:1 (filled the screen) are coming up 2.35:1 (letterboxed) and obviously distorted. When I set to ZOOM, it fills the screen, and it's not distorted, but I obviously lose a bit of info top and bottom. Is there a way to return the TV to the way it was? Is it my cable? It looks fine on ZOOM, but I'd rather put it on full to keep all the info.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:08 am 

1. Connect your cable box to your TV using a HDMI cable.
2. Set your cable box to send 720p/1080i 16:9. (if it's a Motorola, turn it off, and hit menu to get to these settings). You can also set how it should display 4:3 material on your TV (stretch, window-boxed).
3. If you have a DVD player, you'll have to do the same (not necessarily use HDMI, but in the player settings, make sure it knows the TV is 16:9).
4. Repeat with any other peripherals.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:14 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
1. Connect your cable box to your TV using a HDMI cable.
2. Set your cable box to send 720p/1080i 16:9. (if it's a Motorola, turn it off, and hit menu to get to these settings). You can also set how it should display 4:3 material on your TV (stretch, window-boxed).
3. If you have a DVD player, you'll have to do the same (not necessarily use HDMI, but in the player settings, make sure it knows the TV is 16:9).
4. Repeat with any other peripherals.

1. Done
2. Will check when I get home
3. Will check when I get home
4. No other peripherals yet, though I will be getting the BluRay player soon (HDMI connections)

Why would it have changed from correct (before) to the screwy way it is now?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:24 am 

I don't know. Power outage? Are you sure you're watching true HD channels, and not 4x3 channels playing letterboxed movies?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next