It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:00 pm 

Some pretty cool info coming out of CES. Cheap good looking 4K players, no region locks on the discs, blu-rays bundled with the 4K discs, decent support from studios - all good stuff.

It just boils down to how good the TVs are...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:00 pm 

I'm in on 4K when I can buy a decent consumer projector with 4K at $899.

C'mon 720p projector, keep chugging along until then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:16 pm 

I'm in on 4K when I can buy a decent public theater with an 80-foot screen.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:45 pm 

Riedenschneider wrote:
I'm in on 4K when I can buy a decent public theater with an 80-foot screen.

yeah, it's not just about resolution, but bandwidth as well. If you like low-lit movies (where current Blu-Rays crush shadow detail), 4K will be very desirable - regardless of screen size.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:57 am 

I never bought a single BR and download everything in 720 (my netbook can't handle 1080 fluidly and the difference to 720 is next to none on my 7 foot screen).

When I hang a new screen up, probably in 5 years, it will surely be larger. Hopefully 9 or more feet. Then, like Brian, I'm in, if there are 4K projectors under $1000 - and if of course everything is being released by then in 4K too, including back catalouge. What's that the latest word on that anyway?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:02 am 

PS: And by "I'm in" I of course mean I'm in downloading 4K torrents.

I'll never understand why people still buy physical media. I wouldn't want to have discs even if there were free.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:31 am 

Riedenschneider wrote:
PS: And by "I'm in" I of course mean I'm in downloading 4K torrents.

I'll never understand why people still buy physical media. I wouldn't want to have discs even if there were free.

I discussed this before. I don't like the quality of many of the MKV files out there. I buy the discs, rip them to a server, and store the disc in a binder (which serves only as a backup). I enjoy making my own MKVs, so I don't mind spending a bit of money there.

So far, Sony has hinted that they'll be releasing some "classic titles" in 4K, but that company is the worst when it comes to catalog releases (well, aside from Fox and Paramount and Disney and pretty much any studio that isn't WB). The only people buying into 4K UHD Blu-Ray at this stage will be people showing off home movie theatres. What surprises me is that the players are well under $500, and the movies are the same price as those bullshit 3D Blu-Rays. That means, in a year, the players will be closer to $200, and the movies will be priced the same as blu-rays.

The first 4K UHD Blu-Ray releases come out March 1st - and if they can be decrypted, the MKVs should be about the same size as current 1080p ones (they will use a new compression standard called MP5/h.265, which crams twice as much data into a traditional MP4 file size). However, you'll need a beefier laptop to play them.

The good news, Ried, is that a 720p MKV rip from a 4K disc should look significantly better than the standard Blu-Ray version.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:46 am 
Pollution Baby

Was looking at the OLEDs set up at Best Buy, just to get a feel for the picture, and we were setting them to one of the two ISF settings (dark room/light room), and the demo kept switching it back. DAMN MARKETING ASSHOLES!

Still, those blacks are beautiful, but I keep checking eBay for a local pick-up of a Panasonic TC-P65VTxx (or GT) to replace my baby.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988