It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 4K Blu-Ray
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:18 am 
Cavity

Explain why OLED ended up going 4k. I thought it was suppose to be the "i'm not 4k but I look just as good" technology.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:23 am 
Pollution Baby

Techiedude wrote:
Explain why OLED ended up going 4k. I thought it was suppose to be the "i'm not 4k but I look just as good" technology.

All current screen techs are offering a 4k version. I assume they didn't want to be left behind.

OLED is a physical type of screen, 4k is the amount of resolution or pixels available on a type of screen.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:52 am 

Techiedude wrote:

I'm going to need a citation for that statement, because I call bullshit. 1080p OLED panels were cost-prohibitive when Sony first showed off the technology in the mid-2000s, but the panels were very affordable in much smaller screen sizes (phones and tablets, for example). Smaller screens meant higher pixel density at lower resolutions, so a 4" 720p OLED panel could look exceptionally sharp. Mass production of OLED panels for phones paved the way for cheaper OLED panels at larger sizes, including 4K TVs. Because, good luck trying to sell a very expensive non-4K TV to the masses, when that buzzword* is all the rage these days.

*Last week, a friend of mine asked me if I had picked up the 4K Blu-Ray of Fifth Element - and he's not necessarily a retard...Sony's marketing is working very well for them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:18 pm 

Well, Techie woke up a giant today...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 75276.html

Wow...hope WB has something a bit more exciting than that line up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 pm 
Pollution Baby

Chris Knight wrote:
Well, Techie woke up a giant today...

Quote:
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Salt
Hancock
Chappie
Pineapple Express
The Smurfs 2

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:02 pm 

Anyone remember when WB was giving away Lost In Space, Lethal Weapon 4 and Blade when you purchased a DVD player, waaaaay back in 1998/99?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:07 pm 
Cavity

Chris Knight wrote:
Anyone remember when WB was giving away Lost In Space, Lethal Weapon 4 and Blade when you purchased a DVD player, waaaaay back in 1998/99?

Hell that's back in the days when we all first (virtually) met one another on that "other" DVD Forum site where we use to talk about all the deals around the net.

Quote:
SPHE's first 4K Ultra HD releases will include The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Salt, Hancock, Chappie, Pineapple Express, and The Smurfs 2, followed by a growing roster of titles including new release film and television content

So this initial release tells me Sony isn't expecting much out of their first run of 4k movies.
What a spectacularly under-whelming lineup.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:07 pm 
Cavity

Chris Knight wrote:

Hell that's back in the days when we all first (virtually) met one another on that "other" DVD Forum site where we use to talk about all the deals around the net.

Quote:
SPHE's first 4K Ultra HD releases will include The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Salt, Hancock, Chappie, Pineapple Express, and The Smurfs 2, followed by a growing roster of titles including new release film and television content

So this initial release tells me Sony isn't expecting much out of their first run of 4k movies.
What a spectacularly under-whelming lineup.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:23 pm 

I found DVDFile in late 1999, when I was searching for help on lip sync issues with my Sony DVD player. I didn't start actively posting on there until 2001 or so. Hard to believe it's been that long...geez.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:50 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:

I got Lethal Weapon 4, Lost in Space, and two movies which weren't blade. I don't remember what they were though. Twister?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:50 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
I found DVDFile in late 1999, when I was searching for help on lip sync issues with my Sony DVD player. I didn't start actively posting on there until 2001 or so. Hard to believe it's been that long...geez.

I started posting at DVDfile half a lifetime ago.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:05 pm 
HMFIC

Pretty sure I got Drunken Master as a free DVD.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:49 am 
Cavity

Sphere was another one of the freebies being tossed around back then.