All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:57 pm 
Black Hole

Alien Anthology + extras + Prometheus on blu-ray for $20. Insane:

https://www.amazon.com/Alien-Anthology- ... B00FC1ZCB4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:16 pm 

Is this worth a blind buy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:19 pm 

If you pay $20 for Prometheus, you deserve to be blind, yes.

Throw that movie away, and the rest of the deal is excellent for a casual fan of the movies. If you're a hardcore fan, then the first two movies have fucking awful transfers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:41 pm 

Color palette or otherwise? I've watched the DVHS transfer, it was pretty swell. Also saw the first one projected on film a while back, also good.

I've had the UK Quadrilogy unopened for the past 3+ years. I've never watched 3 or 4. 2 is kind of lame, honestly. I'd rather watch Prometheus.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:56 pm 

Watch 3 and the Making Of back-to-back (and maybe supplement it by reading a bunch of the unproduced scripts for 3) to get a real insane story on how a movie is made for realsies.

Watch 4 to see Juenet and Caro's friend/partnership deteriorate like an Alka Seltzer in water.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:08 pm 
Black Hole

brian wrote:
Color palette or otherwise? I've watched the DVHS transfer, it was pretty swell. Also saw the first one projected on film a while back, also good.

I've had the UK Quadrilogy unopened for the past 3+ years. I've never watched 3 or 4. 2 is kind of lame, honestly. I'd rather watch Prometheus.

3 is underrated, especially in the alternate cut on the DVD/BR. Spiritually it's the most similar to the first.

4 is garbage. Even worse than Prometheus.

But we're talking 20 clams for a classic sci-fi series and a veritable assload of extras. It's almost worth it just for the hours and hours of background material on each movie. It's fantastic stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:29 pm 

I picked this up two years ago at the same price about this time of year. I HIGHLY recommend it at $20. Even the packaging is gorgeous.

Also, I agree with Brian that 2 isn't that great. I agree with Shoe that 3 is underrated.

Still, I don't hate on 4. It's not great by any means but there's way worse movies out there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:52 pm 

4 is great, as long as you skip the last 15 mins. The producer's cut of 3 is amazing, from the perspective of seeing what a better producer could have done with more time.

Re: 1&2, the D-VHS/HDTV rips are the best transfers, and I hope these get a revisit when hollywood is over the whole colorize-everything fad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:28 pm 

Jesus. I thought Alien 3 was wrapping up, but there's still another hour to go. What hell is this?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:59 pm 

That wasn't a bad film, just an incredibly boring one.

I'm not too keen to know what cut is what, the cut I watched had the Alien burst out of an ox, it sounds like another cut had it burst out of a dog. I've seen these images in the past. I take it it didn't make the final cut.

As an aside, was it just me, or did the alien change in scale throughout the film? Some shots it looked tiny, others, huge.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:06 pm 

The Ox is the producer's cut - the dog is the original theatrical cut (although it's a Rottweiler, and not the dog you posted, which is actually a stand-in for the alien itself). I actually prefer the dog birth scene, since it's far more traumatic. Otherwise, the producer's cut is superior in every way (yes, it's still a fucking mess, but there's a bit more logic to it).

The alien is the wrong size in almost every shot. Just terrible shot blocking during shooting/pre-production, I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:16 pm 

Do I continue? I've procrastinated on these damn films for so long. Alien is a masterpiece. Aliens scared me off from continuing on, I think I watched that one in 2003 or 2004. On the DVD boxset. It seemed ok to stop there. Now I have the blu-rays. Dear lord, not sure I can take part 4. What about Alien Vs Predator? Predators?

I've never seen Predator.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:35 pm 

Alien 4 is, like 3, beautifully shot, but the plot is utterly absurd - and intentionally so. It's directed by the guy that made Amelie (albeit without his brilliant production partner, which is why the story suffers). It's a fine movie, if you can handle the humour, EXCEPT for the last 15 minutes - which are just Prometheus-level awful. Okay, nothing can be as bad as Prometheus, but this is close. I would recommend being drunk or high when watching part 4. This is as close to a comic book as these movies ever got.

Predator is great if you like guns and sweaty dudes. It's just silly. Even the director says so. Lots of drinking games based on the cheesy dialogue in this movie.

Predator 2 is awesome. It's also a product of its time, and I can't imagine it has aged well for non-fans. Knowing you, you'll find it boring. Bonus - Gary Busey.

Aliens Vs. Predator has some decent bits, but it's a forgettable, horribly mediocre, action film (cool last act, though). AvP part 2 (Requiem?) is a pure horror film - and it starts off SO good, then immediately crashes and burns with an oft-used plot involving horny teenagers on the wrong side of the tracks. Unless you love slasher movies, you should skip it.

Predators has grown on me. It's not great, and Morpheus is just a goofy character - but I end up watching it every time it's on TV. It's also an homage to the first one - with many throwbacks to the original. So, you could just skip the original and watch this one. I think this movie failed, because it wasn't quite cheesy enough to be a cult classic, and not serious enough for casual action movie fans to get the vibe they were going for.

If you like comics, you should find the first three series of Dark Horse's Aliens (ending with Earth War).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:07 pm 

-Alien: A+

-Aliens: A+

-Alien 3: C+ (for Fincher visuals alone, otherwise C)

-Alien: Ressurection: B- for first two-thirds, D+ for last 15 minutes

-Alien vs. Predator: B-

-Alien vs. Predator: Requiem: D (worst film in either franchise)

-Prometheus: B+ (underrated)

-Predator: B+ (slightly overrated)

-Predator 2: C+

-Predators: B

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:08 am 
Black Hole

Sounds like a pyramid scheme.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:24 pm 
Canyon

I've spoken at length at about all these films so I'll spare everyone the arguments about film quality or color timing issues and the like. I'll say this, ANY issues aside you're an asshole for passing this deal up -- including Prometheus. 20 bucks? Seriously? The Anthology set is easily the best film franchise boxset in existence (the new Halloween set gives it a run for the money, though) and Prometheus is worth owning for the extras alone even if you hate the film.

Buy with confidence (if you haven't already).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:37 pm 
Black Hole

You couldn't be more right.

This would be worth twice the price if it didn't even include the movies and only included the extras.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:42 pm 

Downhuman wrote:
and Prometheus is worth owning for the extras alone even if you hate the film.

Why would anyone care about extras for a film they hate? That seems sort of silly. Alien is worth 20 bucks. Then there's a bunch of films included that I will watch once and say "Well there's a few hours of my life I'm not getting back."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:01 pm 
Canyon

brian wrote:
Downhuman wrote:
and Prometheus is worth owning for the extras alone even if you hate the film.

Why would anyone care about extras for a film they hate?

I'm as much a fan of the process of making films as I am of the films themselves. If you're in the camp that hates Prometheus (I personally like it) then it is at least interesting to see where it went off the rails. Alien 3 is a great example of this -- my feelings of the film aside, the extras are simply amazing. The supplemental material for Prometheus is among one of the more exhaustive efforts for a single film I've seen in recent years and I argue that it actually enhances my enjoyment of the film. Just seeing the sheer of amount of effort that went into making something like that never gets old for me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:10 pm 

So kind of like following the process of The Thief and the Cobbler, or something like that?

I suppose if the extras are comprehensive, it could be interesting.

I've been watching Blu-ray rips despite having the the UK boxset. maybe I will crack it open.

Don't have Prometheus. It was also ok! Set design and the like were neat enough.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:27 pm 

Prometheus owns. B+

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:47 pm 

Downhuman wrote:
I'm as much a fan of the process of making films as I am of the films themselves. If you're in the camp that hates Prometheus (I personally like it) then it is at least interesting to see where it went off the rails. Alien 3 is a great example of this -- my feelings of the film aside, the extras are simply amazing.

Alien 3's "Wreckage & Rage" documentary may be the finest dissection of a totally FUBARed big studio production ever assembled...the movie may be a complete mess (even the extended cut is just slightly less messy), but peeling back the layers and seeing just what studio fuckery Fox laid on poor David Fincher is consistently fascinating. I especially liked the look at Vincent Ward's bugshit-crazy draft of the screenplay (in which Ripley -- I shit you not -- crash-lands on a wooden planetoid inhabited by space monks). I wish more making-ofs were as blunt as this, instead of the usual "So-and-so was wonderful to work with, a total pro..." EPK bullshit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:51 pm 

The feature-length documentary on Cleopatra is excellent, and very explicit about how terrible the production was (and nearly caused Fox to fold). I bought the DVD just for this extra, and tossed the movie.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:27 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
The feature-length documentary on Cleopatra is excellent, and very explicit about how terrible the production was (and nearly caused Fox to fold). I bought the DVD just for this extra, and tossed the movie.

(Of its London premiere) "Afterwards, I raced back to the Dorchester [Hotel] and just made it to the downstairs lavatory and vomited."
(Elizabeth Taylor)

"The toughest three pictures I ever made... This picture was conceived in a state of emergency, shot in confusion, and wound up in blind panic."
(Joseph L. Mankiewicz)

"I facetiously suggested billing the picture Elizabeth Taylor in Heat, and it took the Fox executives a while to realise that I wasn't really serious."
(Rex Harrison)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:42 pm 

I'm watching Alien 4. This film is great, whatcho all talking about?

2nd best out of place woman playing basketball scene following Catwoman.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:48 pm 

brian wrote:
I'm watching Alien 4. This film is great, whatcho all talking about?

Let's revisit this after you watch the last 15 minutes...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:52 pm 
HMFIC

Last 15 minutes suck. Still, Alien 4 is better than the third, and the third is watchable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:11 pm 

The third is boring. Sort of competent but boring is worse than a bad film.

The last 15 minutes of Resurrection are indeed awful. Baby alien has such cute eyes though! Bawwww.

But I literally made that post, and the film got into weird bad territory. It was a very distinct shift in tone.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:57 pm 

I remember dragging my sister to see Alien to the Third Power in the theater in...

Holy shit, that was 1992? Okay, so I was 11 years old.

Even then my reaction was basically "What the fuck is this bullshit?"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:11 pm 

Imagine if the opening title crawl of Return Of The Jedi informed us that Han, Chewie and Leia were all killed in a spaceship crash in-between movies.

That's what's wrong with Alien 3.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:25 am 

Monterey Jack wrote:
Imagine if the opening title crawl of Return Of The Jedi informed us that Han, Chewie and Leia were all killed in a spaceship crash in-between movies.

I don't care about any of that. Just make a fine film about whatever. It was just dumb and awkward to watch.

Hook has the 3rd best weird basketball scene, following Alien 4's, FYI.

As an aside, Alien fans should probably check out Alien Isolation for modern videogame systems/PC. It's the best Alien thing I've seen that's not a vintage toy or the original film. I've played an hour or so of it, and haven't done much besides be afraid of spooky noises. But the art design is so right! Bioshock meets Alien.

Should I give Aliens a 2nd shot, or will I dislike it as much as I did 10 years ago?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:14 am 

brian wrote:
Should I give Aliens a 2nd shot, or will I dislike it as much as I did 10 years ago?

I'm pretty sure this was the first "director's cut" I ever saw, and despite the cheesy dialogue, I love every (non-Blu-Ray) frame of this movie.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:33 pm 
Black Hole

Monterey Jack wrote:

I've always found this argument kind of silly. I understand not liking that some characters you liked are gone, but that has no bearing on whether the movie itself is any good. You judge it on its own merits or lack thereof. The writing and film making that comes after that opening scene does not become bad by virtue of that scene.

Besides, it's hardly unusual for sequels to have major events happen between movies. Hell, in your own example the rebels went from a major victory to being in hiding on some ice planet between the first two, and Luke became a Jedi and Leia a faux bounty hunter between the second two. You jump ahead in time, there is a change in status quo, and you take the new story for what it is.
brian wrote:

I've long found it to be terribly overpraised. Watched it recently, too, and still haven't changed my mind about it. It's fine, but no better than that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:40 pm 

I'm glad I'm not alone on Aliens. It's an entertaining action film, but not all that. Alien is an A-One horror film, though, still the finest of the series by far.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:47 pm 
HMFIC

Aliens, when I was in grade school, was every boy's favorite movie. No idea what every girl's favorite movie was, because this was grade school. None of us cared. Maybe Footloose.

Once, at a birthday party, I accidentally rented Alien instead of Aliens. While I'm fully willing to concede that the first one is a better movie now, it didn't go over terribly well then.