It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DVDA Burning Qwekstion
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:18 pm 

Here it goes. I have an un-copyright protected DVD that I want to copy. I generally use DVDShrink to download, but you need Nero to burn, and I don't have/want to get Nero. What is an easier/free option for accomplishing this task?

Post subject: Re: DVD Burning question
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:58 pm 

Imgburn (for burning disc images/ISO files) or CDBurnerXP (everything else). Both free, tiny, and easy to use.

Imgburn will take your non-protected DVD, copy it to your drive, and then back to a disc again. The older version of Imgburn (DVD Decrypter) can do this with most copy-protected DVDs as well (which is why they stopped making it, but it's easy to find).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:25 am 

Thanks, Chris. I think I may already have ImgBurn, I'll check.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:03 pm 

First time I got an error message, second time (later) it seems to have worked. Will check tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:59 am 

Worked on a computer. Need to check on the DVD player when I get home. Thanks, Chris.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:53 pm 

OK, soit seems like my DVD/CD burner is fucked. I do need a new computer, and tyhis may be what puts me over the edge.

Anyway, I successfully burned a copy of the DVD I wanted to copy. I went to burn another copy (I need 4), and my burner just keeps cycling without being able to be used. I have tried shutting the computer off, hitting the eject button to release the disc inside, but nothing works, and the burner is still cycling, you can hear the disc spinning inside. Nothing I have done will stop it , I just keep getting a "computer not responding " message.

Ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:04 pm 

At $17 / burner, I don't bother diagnosing issues like that anymore. If you can't open the tray, there's a pinhole in the front - shove a paperclip in there, and it should force the tray open. Do this with the computer off, because a CD spinning at several hundred RPMs will hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:33 pm 

Well that worked, I got the disc out anyway. I guess I'll look into one of those $17 burners!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:10 pm 

So I had a CD I had to burn for a friend. I had warned him I was having issues, and it could be a while before I could get it to him. Tried it tonight, worked like a charm. Guess it just doesn't like burning DVD's!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:02 am 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
Imgburn (for burning disc images/ISO files) or CDBurnerXP (everything else). Both free, tiny, and easy to use.

Imgburn will take your non-protected DVD, copy it to your drive, and then back to a disc again. The older version of Imgburn (DVD Decrypter) can do this with most copy-protected DVDs as well (which is why they stopped making it, but it's easy to find).

Are these still viable?