It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:43 am 
Minor Depression

I'm flying to FL with both kids and I want to bring a movie or two to keep them occupied on the flight. I have done this once before. I took my son's Thomas the Tank Engine DVD, copied it to my computer, stripped out all the ancillary crap and saved it to my kindle fire. The whole thing ended up being about 500mb and was pretty easy. Unfortunately, I lost the software when my computer updated to Win 8.1 and I can't find link that originally told me what to do.

Questions:
Is it still possible to do this?
If so, is it possible to do with free software (preferably software that doesn't have to be torrented)?
Is it likely to be harder to do it with a Disney DVD or BD than it was on the Thomas DVD (which was one of those $5 discs that Target sticks on end caps near the groceries)?
I have an iPad, Kindle Fire (really old), Galaxy Note 8, and the kid also has a Leap Pad Ultra. Does it matter which I load the video on?
Anything else I need to think about?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:05 am 
Pollution Baby

Questions:
Is it still possible to do this?
Yes

If so, is it possible to do with free software (preferably software that doesn't have to be torrented)?
Yes, Make MKV for Blu-ray, or one of the Red Kawa ones would be easiest probably.

Is it likely to be harder to do it with a Disney DVD or BD than it was on the Thomas DVD (which was one of those $5 discs that Target sticks on end caps near the groceries)?
Yes/No, the Blu-rays are different, and not all software will rip them, and, they will of course be larger files.

I have an iPad, Kindle Fire (really old), Galaxy Note 8, and the kid also has a Leap Pad Ultra. Does it matter which I load the video on?
Yes, some will not play some formats some other formats, you just have to look up what each will do, but it would be best to use one with external memory if you want to put on a bunch. I believe the Leap Pad Ultra will play mpeg4 and that is the same as the PS3 converter from Red Kawa.

Anything else I need to think about?
Yes. When ripping for play of this type, convert the audio to AAC 2 channel sample rate 44100 and bit rate around 128, they will probably not play DTS audio at all, and having 5.1 is overkill and wasted storage space. The LeapPad Ultra's native resolution is 1024 x 600, so no need to rip anything higher than that, and the DVDs just leave at native resolution or smaller. When you use either of those options you will only be pulling the main video and should choose just 1 audio track, the result is one .mp4 or .mkv file that you can copy over to the device. Keep the quality setting to normal for file size, they won't notice anything on screens that small.

If you use MakeMKV to rip the Blu-ray, be sure to choose mpeg4 as the video type, which it may do by default, I don't remember.

I have a bunch that I have ripped for my kid's Nabi.

I'm sure Chris will have better advice, this is just what I would do.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:12 am 

Nothing wrong with that advice. I would add Handbrake as an option - it will take your already ripped BD/DVD, and produce a file that will absolutely work for whatever device you need (it comes with presets for specific iPads, tablets, etc.).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:27 am 
Minor Depression

I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks a ton.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:49 pm 

I usually just pirate the movie I want, even if I purchased the Blu/DVD. Less to mess around with.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:54 pm 
Minor Depression

While it may have been faster to pirate the movies, this was painless. I used DVD Shrink and Handbrake. Handbrake took forever, but did what I needed it to. In the end, I got one Thomas DVD, Five Disney DVDs, three CDs and half a dozen Kindle picture books onto an 8gig Kindle Fire. Can't complain about that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:42 am 
Pollution Baby

:thumbs:
...and now you know how to fish.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988