It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:11 pm 

So, I'm working on my videos from my Bonaire trip, and I'd like to narrate them. I have changed the audio before on my videos, but just to add a music track, instead of the original sound of fish chomping on coral, and me breathing. I don't currently have a microphone, and I don't want to spend a boatload of cash on this (I can always just use music, I just thought it might be nicer to have some narration).

So I Figure I'll need.
1. a microphone
2. software to record to a file (MP3?)

Anything else? Any other ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:14 pm 
Pollution Baby

Do you have a smart phone?

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:24 pm 

fyi, headphones work as microphones if you plug them into the appropriate port.

All versions of windows come with Sound Recorder, which lets you record your microphone input. Save the recording, and then add the voice as you did the music for your previous videos. You could also use YouTube's video editor to combine different video and audio.

And, to second Ericubus' suggestion, a smartphone makes for a very good audio recorder, but you'd have to figure out how to a.) record the audio, and b.) get the recording to your PC.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:28 pm 
Pollution Baby

Chris Knight wrote:
...And, to second Ericubus' suggestion, a smartphone makes for a very good audio recorder, but you'd have to figure out how to a.) record the audio, and b.) get the recording to your PC.
I was thinking about free apps, like Smart Voice Recorder, that you can either store the file on the phone and transfer to your PC, or simply email them to yourself if that is to complicated.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:33 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
you can either store the file on the phone and transfer to your PC, or simply email them to yourself if that is to complicated.

Yes, but this is Kimfair we're talking about - he's about 1 rung on the ladder above Monty, when it comes to computer literacy...

btw, everyone had these when I was a kid...when did they become so expensive?!?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:42 pm 
Pollution Baby

Like Scotty, Kimfair is a genius in one department, but it doesn't always translate into this day and age.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:09 pm 

The Mac 512k in that scene had no microphone input...in fact, no Apple had decent built-in audio recording capabilities until the early 90s, because of an utterly stupid lawsuit filed by Apple records in the 80s. In 1986 (when Star Trek IV was released), a Commodore Amiga, or Philips/Sony MSX would have been one of the few desktop computer choices capable of hearing Scotty.

Also, that mouse he's talking into was horribly uncomfortable to use. Still, better than any mouse Apple has made in the last 20 years.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:15 pm 
Pollution Baby

I love that...

BTW, my favorite part of that scene was not just how Scotty could immediately master the CAD software, but how fast the Mac magically became while he was using it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:27 pm 
Black Hole

Ericubus wrote:
...but how fast the Mac magically became while he was using it.

I also love that scene.

I think most geeks do.

Hollywood technology is like the Hollywood weaponry.

When Hollywood needs it:

You can download gigabytes of info instantly
Page through vast arrays of graphics in a blur
"Enhance" images at the Speed of Disney farts
Facetime and Skype with no lag
.....etc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:04 pm 

The Core is full of wtf moments like that:

And then there's Swordfish...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:42 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
Ericubus wrote:
you can either store the file on the phone and transfer to your PC, or simply email them to yourself if that is to complicated.

Yes, but this is Kimfair we're talking about - he's about 1 rung on the ladder above Monty, when it comes to computer literacy...

btw, everyone had these when I was a kid...when did they become so expensive?!?

I'm old, goddammit! I was too old when this shit came out for it to be intuitive, like it is with most of you and everyone younger than you.

ericubus wrote:
Like Scotty, Kimfair is a genius in one department, but it doesn't always translate into this day and age.

I know enough to do what I need to do, and when I don't I have you guys to help me out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:02 am 
Pollution Baby

Pender wrote:
..."Enhance" images at the Speed of Disney farts...
This one I love, because it also assumes that every image, every security camera, is actually recording at a bazillion resolution with every level of focus, and all you have to do is highlight an area to see it's amazing clarity. If you keep zooming in enough you can see the quarks.
Some people actually think this is a realistic thing and are unpleasantly surprised, aka disappointed, when you actually can't do that. No, I can't just zoom in on that person 200 yards away from the security camera and read their DNA.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:27 pm 
HMFIC

"Hey, Mr. Teacher, the photo I took is blurry. Can you show me how to fix that in Photoshop? No? Oh, well, I'll just turn it in as it is."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:01 pm 

Photoshop does now actually feature a de-motion blur filter for people that don't understand how to set their shutter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:22 pm 
HMFIC

Does it help people who can't figure out how to work the manual focus/auto focus switch on their lenses?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:06 am 
Black Hole

Eric wrote:
Does it help people who can't figure out how to work the manual focus/auto focus switch on their lenses?

I read your sentence thusly: "Does it slap stupid fucking people?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:41 am 

There's that Lytro camera that auto-stacks the focal planes - you could give that to your student. Bit of a rubbish camera, but it helps for people that can't focus.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:08 pm 
HMFIC

I'm going to stick with just grading them down if they can't either use autofocus or focus manually. Or, more pertinently, if they just don't give a fuck.

They don't like that. But usually, it's only on the last day of the marking period when they actually look at their grades and complain.