Attachment:
File comment: Close
IMAG0529sm.jpg
IMAG0529sm.jpg [ 257 KiB | Viewed 1880 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Far
IMAG0530sm.jpg
IMAG0530sm.jpg [ 122.39 KiB | Viewed 1880 times ]

I'm hoping it is not only fixable, but at a reasonable price.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:33 pm 

Well...

The good news is that it's Black Friday, and TVs are REALLY cheap today.

Sorry, dude. Your plasma days are officially over.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:31 am 

How did it crack? You could just watch everything with a glowing blue dick in the corner!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:45 am 
Black Hole

Could be Dr. Manhattan returning.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:51 pm 
Pollution Baby

Kimfair wrote:
How did it crack? You could just watch everything with a glowing blue dick in the corner!
The dog . . . screen will not come on now.

Anyone know of any decent places to get a decent plasma (yes I know they are not made anymore)?

There are some used ones listed on Amazon, but I hadn't done any research in the last 4 years on them, so no idea what I should be looking for right now.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:06 pm 

The screen won't come on anymore, because the plasma gas escaped through that dick-shaped area (the blue halo is the concentration of gas trying to escape). I'm pretty sure it's harmless, so I wouldn't be concerned about health issues. But, yeah, the TV is no more.

I think you can still find some new LG plasma sets around here and there, but anything else will be used and abused, or REALLY expensive. I don't recommend buying a used plasma without seeing the image quality for yourself. eBay will be your best bet for any overstock/refurbished units.

If it were me, I would just get a LCD TV, and complain about it until OLED sets start shipping en masse.

I found your set (or something similar to it) in new condition for $6,000 on eBay, btw:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-TC-P6 ... Sw54xUV-UH

And it wasn't the only one for that price.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:45 pm 
Pollution Baby

This is a dark day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:28 pm 

eh, it's time for a new TV anyway. 4K is right around the corner. Your dog is smarter than you think.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:28 am 

A buddy of mine bought an OLED curved set, and I have to say, it looked way better than I thought it would, far closer to plasma in look than the standard LED sets I've seen. Chris - how are the OLED sets for oblique viewing angles? One of the best things about my plasma for me is the ability to see it well from any angle (especially when I've got people sitting in the dining room, looking at the TV in the living room at Fest.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:57 am 

OLED sets are phenomenal at any angle (even curved, although that concept doesn't work unless you're an audience of one; a great idea for computer monitors, but not living room TVs).

They are just expensive. I haven't seen many large 4K panels in action, nor do I know if there's any long-term technical issues - so I'm waiting for the technology to settle (and for 50"+ prices to drop below $2k) before I take the plunge (I'm not in any hurry).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:35 pm 
Pollution Baby

Any suggestions for 65'' or larger, don't care about 4k, not curved, 3D is nice but not necessary.
I'd like to keep it under $1k, I just want the picture quality to be awesome, or as close to awesome as $1k will get me right now. I'll start putting money aside for a better one down the road, and move whatever I get now to my bedroom at that time.

Right now I took the guest room Samsung 32'' LCD set and put it where the 65'' plasma was. It looks 100% ridiculous, the mounts stick out the bottom, and getting that plasma set off the current mount by my onesies was . . . interesting (had to angle it out the the bottom then lift it straight up while bending over the entertainment center), as was carrying it into the garage. I may ravage it for parts and sell them on eBay to make up some of the cost, but that idea is just sad right now, so very fucking sad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:41 pm 

Samsung, Vizio and Sharp have 65" entry-level LED-backlit LCD sets for $900 (check amazon and B&H). The 4K equivalents are about $400 more, just to give you an idea of the price spread. Reviews seem favourable for all of them (make sure they have enough/correct inputs you need).

I would probably avoid the generic Chinese brands (HiSense, Seiki, etc.), since they can be a crapshoot.