It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bileless HDMI
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:47 am 
Singularity ∞

I started to quickly Google this, but figured fuck it, I'm sure Chris has some half-baked opinions he'll adamantly insist are the only correct opinions.

:)

So wireless HDMI is a thing now, right? Sort of?

Here's why I ask:

My current desktop is starting to randomly blue screen. I can't nail down the problem, I've tested several components (RAM is fine, hard drive is good, etc.), it's not a heating problem, etc, so I'm wondering if it's just on its way out. It's pretty damn old at this point, so that wouldn't be a surprise.

When it comes time to replace it, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to ensure it's ready for modern games. I can't play for long periods of time at my desk, and given its location there is no easy way to run a video out to the TV.

But if I could stream the signal, then I could potentially play on my couch with a gamepad or wireless mouse & key.

Considering my backlog of PC games, that would be welcome. So would saving money when choosing the PC version over console.

One problem: In my real quick Google, wireless HDMI extenders look expensive as fuck. Like, $200. That gets close to the cost of a game system.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Wireless HDMI
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:54 am 

I've had wireless HDMI in my one laptop for 4 years - it's not new at all.

I've used it twice.

It sucks balls for gaming (frame rates can't keep up). A 25 foot flat HDMI cable costs $15-20, and there are a hundred ways to hide it (and remember, HDMI can be plugged/unplugged whenever, so a wired setup is not inconvenient at all.

Steam has their new Link box, which allows you to stream (over WiFi, although a wired connection is FAR better) your desktop/laptop to your TV - specifically with gaming in mind. It's only $50, so it might be worth a look-see.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:01 am 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
HDMI can be plugged/unplugged whenever, so a wired setup is not inconvenient at all.

It is the way our house is situated, otherwise I would have done this years ago. My only options are running it across the ceiling or going through the walls. Neither is particularly desirable (especially the latter, which would take a load of work).

This is good to know:
Quote:
It sucks balls for gaming (frame rates can't keep up).

I'll check out that Steam device. $50 is nothing and would be made up after the first two or three game purchases, since PC versions are consistently cheaper.

:thumbs:

I had dabbled with using a laptop into the TV, but it just wouldn't sync right with the screen no matter what. Tried every which way but the edges were always cut off, and my set doesn't allow me to adjust.

Older laptop, anyway, so newer game still would have been out. Played some Divinity: Original Sins on it, and while it played fine, I had to use the lowest settings.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:08 am 

Yeah, I plug a laptop into my TV all the time, and it's flawless (Windows detects the TV brand, model, etc. - never have to do anything).

I'm sure whatever modern PC you eventually buy will be vastly better with your TV*, etc. And laptops are very powerful these days, so they make for good gaming PCs as well.

*I'm assuming you have a decent TV, not some generic Chinese thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:24 am 
Singularity ∞

It's decent, not great, and a few years old at this point. Panasonic Viera; was affordable and "good enough." Gets the job done. In no rush to replace it.

Can't remember when I got it. Six years ago? Seven?