It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WI-FI
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:40 am 
HMFIC

So, this is my network:

Two of these, actually. One I've been using for years, and another I bought for $7 to replace the firmware and set it up as a repeater, since we've got an old brick house and the signal from the first doesn't really reach from the back to the front of the house.

But it's set up as two separate networks, and the transition when you move from one side of the house to the other isn't seamless. Also, it's old. It'd be nice if we could have an updated network, with one single network from the front of the house to the back, even if we need multiple pieces of hardware to do it (it seems like signal repeaters that don't function as a separate network must be a thing). Most of you know more about this stuff than I do. Recommendations?

Post subject: Re: WI-FI
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:53 am 
Black Hole

It'll give you cancer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:18 am 

Are you running DD-WRT on these routers? Setting the 2nd one to a Repeater, and broadcasting the same SSID on a SEPARATE channel should allow devices to automatically jump. It won't be a seamless jump, but your devices should just automatically connect to one, as soon as they lose connection to the other. (so, there will always be a few seconds where your wifi device drops out as you walk between the two points). If you want completely seamless, then it's time to upgrade to a router that has a stronger antenna.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:43 am 
HMFIC

DD-WRT on the second router only. Problem seems to be that the signal drops to almost nothing, but not quite nothing, so it takes a while for the device to switch connections.

Router recommendations? Thinking it's time to upgrade. Not sure how long I've been running this one, but I think it's something close to 10 years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:31 am 

I would think almost any $50+ router made in the last couple of years would suffice. Bear in mind that not many (inexpensive) routers work with custom firmware anymore (so, if you like DD-WRT, be prepared to pay extra). I'd start with Amazon and Newegg reviews for best-selling models.