It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Musical Guilty Pleasures
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:10 pm 

Here's where you cop to your musical guilty pleasures. A guilty pleasure would be a song or album that you like but don't necessarily admit in the company of your music nerd friends who are judgemental and all "too cool" and shit.

I'll be 42 in about 10 weeks. I've had nothing to hide for a while now and stopped playing the "I'm too cool to like that" game years ago. Still, I know a shit song or album when I hear it and am somewhat chagrined to admit to liking one of those occasionally. So in the spirit of courting derision and scorn, here are a few of mine:

Filter - Title of Record: It's the one with "Take a Picture" on it. It's about as generic as industrial alternative rock can get but I listen to it about once or twice a month. Maybe it's a familiarity thing... like eating at a chain restaurant. Either way, I know it's shit, but I still love it.

Scarlett Johansson - Anywhere I Lay My Head: Compared to Tom Wait's originals, it's terrible but I love it as background for work. I generally put it on when compiling large reports or reviewing a contract. It's nonconfrontational enough that I can focus but not bland enough that I completely tune it out.

The Monkees - everything they did: The Monkees had a few songs that most people will own up to liking, but I grew up with their albums being the only rock music I was allowed to listen to until I began stealing cassettes at age 13. Therefore, I have an affinity for even the tracks that are filler. I still have the vinyl albums.

As for songs... "Vindicated" by Dashboard Confessional from the Spiderman 2 soundtrack makes me wet. Fortunately, it's the only Dashboard Confessional song I like so my penis only shrank by a half inch, but still...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:24 pm 

Britney Spears, Dave Matthews Band, and A.F.I.

I get the most shit about those three.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

I like Katy Perry, okay? Jesus! Get off my back!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

Zypn wrote:

Probably because you have a vagina.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:16 pm 

Surf Monkey wrote:
Zypn wrote:

Probably because you have a vagina.

You would know.

...pwnt...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:04 pm 

caryc wrote:

Scarlett Johansson - Anywhere I Lay My Head: Compared to Tom Wait's originals, it's terrible but I love it as background for work. I generally put it on when compiling large reports or reviewing a contract. It's nonconfrontational enough that I can focus but not bland enough that I completely tune it out.

The Monkees - everything they did: The Monkees had a few songs that most people will own up to liking, but I grew up with their albums being the only rock music I was allowed to listen to until I began stealing cassettes at age 13. Therefore, I have an affinity for even the tracks that are filler. I still have the vinyl albums.

The Monkees is corporate-pop perfection, and David Sitek's (of TV on the Radio fame) production really shines through on the ScaJo disc. I wouldn't be ashamed of either of those.

I'd say my guilty pleasures mostly involve a strange breed of indie-christian rock/pop. Stuff like Sufjan Stevens, the Danielson Famile, The Welcome Wagon, and pretty much the entire scene those bands are a part of. Goofy shit, I love it to death, but it's not something I'd put on in the car around my friends.

Example:
and . I'm not Christian, but it still resonates with me.

And while we're at it, I'll throw Nico on the list.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:14 pm 
Singularity ∞

None.

I don't feel guilty or sheepish about some of the crap stuff I listen to. Alongside all the good or challenging or innovative or important or talented or obscure acts I like, I'll also listen to blink-182, Lady Gaga, Dashboard Confessional, Bright Eyes, MIA, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Dr. Dre, Jay Z, The Jackson 5, Alicia Keys, and lots of other crap.

Hell, I listen to video game soundtracks.

And I'll scream it from the heavens.

No guilt. Never feel guilty or sheepish about music that hits the spot. Sometimes the perfect thing for the moment is cheesy teenage pop punk or overproduced cock rap or bad hair metal or overly emotive whining or whatever.

GUILT-FREE IN '93!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:14 pm 

I don't think I have guilty music pleasures. I throw on the iPod at work, out comes the entire Disneyland ride soundtracks and I'm all YEAH WHAT. THIS IS AWESOME. THIS ROOM IS ACTUALLY STRETCHING IN FRONT OF YOUR OWN EYES, BITCH.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:15 pm 

Surf Monkey wrote:
I like Katy Perry, okay? Jesus! Get off my back!!!

Being one of only two males in the household (the other being the dog and his nuts were cut off years ago), I am beseiged by the females in the family singing "California Gurls". Be-fucking-seiged!

The sad thing, it's growing on me. Seeing Snoop in the video did nothing but make me like it more.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:17 pm 

JFelix wrote:
I don't think I have guilty music pleasures. I throw on the iPod at work, out comes the entire Disneyland ride soundtracks and I'm all YEAH WHAT. THIS IS AWESOME. THIS ROOM IS ACTUALLY STRETCHING IN FRONT OF YOUR OWN EYES, BITCH.

I am totally on board with the Disneyland ride soundtracks, JFelix. Even if you were joking, I am not.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:21 pm 

I'm just furious that there's only a DARK RIDE SUITE rather than individual tracks for each ride.

The two new co-workers I normally work with are both 20 and natives of Oregon who have never been to Disneyland. And that just fucking baffles me, as I am both from L.A. and a product of divorce with parents trying to one-up each other. That's right, every year up to age 10 involved year-long passes.

I miss childhood.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:24 pm 
Singularity ∞

Video game soundtracks can be awesome. Fact.

I admit, it took me a year or three of listening to them before I'd admit it out loud. But it's true.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:25 pm 

Also on the iPod playlist I blast at work: the complete licensed soundtracks for Fallout 3 and both Bioshock games.

From time to time, a young person will come in and lose their fucking minds.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:34 pm 
Singularity ∞

JFelix wrote:
Also on the iPod playlist I blast at work: the complete licensed soundtracks for Fallout 3 and both Bioshock games.

Nice. Both of those soundtracks are sweet.

I like Jeremy Soule. He has done the scores for Oblivion and Morrowind, Icewind Dale, and others. Nice, sweeping fantasy music. Morrowind's is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:36 pm 
Singularity ∞

Oh, and the score for the first Silent Hill game is SUPER creepy and awesome. First time I ever bought a video game score, and it was based on this song:

That's like a badass, twisted Portishead song. The subtle strings that come in at 2:00 are nice. Most of the rest of the soundtrack is ambient, scary industrial noises and weirdness.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:34 pm 

My entire music collection.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:36 pm 
HMFIC

Not sure what my "guilty pleasures" would be, since I'm not sure what I'm supposed to feel guilty about. One of my ex-students made a joke when she saw from my Last.fm widget on Facebook that I'd listened to a Lady Gaga album. I was like, "What, you don't think that's cool?"

Also on the list would probably be Elton John and Rod Stewart, but only because most people remember their shitty later work rather than their great earlier stuff (as we discussed, in the second case, on the "What song would you like to cover" thread). Other than that... Peaches? I don't listen to that with my wife around. Prince? I seem to remember a friend making a joke about it when I gave him a ride and had Prince playing the car.

None of this is really "guilty," though. I wouldn't listen to it if I didn't think it was good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:58 am 

After ruminating on this for a while, the only thing I've ever been embarrased by when it showed up on my iPod was a cut from Jim Stafford's greatest hits (it was My Girl Bill). I bought that CD cheap, purely for Wildwood Weed and Spiders and Snakes (that one truly would be a guilty pleasure).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:29 pm 

After ruminating on this for a while, the only thing I've realized is that you're all liars who are embarrassed.

Blows my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:58 pm 

Zypn wrote:
After ruminating on this for a while, the only thing I've realized is that you're all liars who are embarrassed.

Blows my mind.

This is because none of the rest of us listen to DMB.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:06 pm 

Zypn wrote:

Blows my mind.

Does it make you Starry Eyed?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:30 pm 

Kimfair wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:12 pm 
Singularity ∞

If I listened to DMB, they'd be my answer.

If I had to be perfectly honest, I'd admit that I have DMB in my digital music library. Their entire catalog, in fact. But it's not my fault. Some chick at my office left the files on her work computer, and who am I to turn down free music? So I grabbed 'em all before wiping the hard drive. I have yet to listen to any of it, though.

Also, I like that one song they did where he sings "the space between." That was a good song, IIRC.

Also, I disliked his cover of "Cortez the Killer." A lot. What was he thinking.

And the dude stands funny. Get some of them leg braces, man. You dance like Forest Gump.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:13 pm 
Singularity ∞

Zypn wrote:
Kimfair wrote:

Paramore. They might come close to a guilty pleasure (but they're not). I really like Riot!, like, a lot. It's total teenage candy, but whatever. I enjoy the record and total jam the fuck out of "That's What You Get" on drums on Rock Band.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:46 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Paramore. They might come close to a guilty pleasure (but they're not). I really like Riot!, like, a lot. It's total teenage candy, but whatever. I enjoy the record and total jam the fuck out of "That's What You Get" on drums on Rock Band.

:lol:

Hayley Williams = Uncontrollable Dick Spasms

That's all I've got for Paramore.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:35 pm 
HMFIC

DMB. Got the album with the song that goes, "Excuse me please, one more drink..." Went backpacking with a bunch of guys when it was new, and one guy played it constantly. Got to like that song.

Still, not really guilty about it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:56 pm 

Eric wrote:
DMB. Got the album with the song that goes, "Excuse me please, one more drink..." Went backpacking with a bunch of guys when it was new, and one guy played it constantly. Got to like that song.

Still, not really guilty about it.

I like that song also. Not a huge DMB fan but I'm not about to bag on these guys for liking him. My wife loves pretty much every studio album the guy has done so I've heard them enough to like a few songs off each. Actually, the album I like the most from him is his solo one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:28 pm 

Hmmm, guilty pleasures? I love Italo Disco. Despite the fact that this style was insanely popular in Europe during the 80s, the only place you could listen to it in the US (pre-internet days) was in gay clubs. I had fun DJing at a local place called Stonewall in 1991-92, but telling people where you played music (in this part of the world) got some funny looks. But at least it's not as bad as saying you like DMB.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:48 pm 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
But at least it's not as bad as saying you like DMB.

Chris is rarely right about anything, and in fact is usually so wrong that you wonder if maybe he doesn't suffer from mild lead poisoning or Parkinson's, or if possibly a dog bit off his testicles when he was a child, resulting in his awkward-yet-entertaining way of seeing the world, but this is one of the rare cases where he is right. It's not as bad as saying you like DMB. Chris wins the prize.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:04 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Chris wins the prize.

Far be it for me to come to the defense of DMB, but anyone who professes a secret love of Italo Disco doesn't really have the right to weigh in on any musical conversation without having their opinion placed into context.

It's like Idi Amin weighing in on which is worse, a dictatorial regime or representative democracy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:32 pm 

lulz...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

brian wrote:
The Monkees is corporate-pop perfection

Wasn't a bunch of the Monkees stuff Brill Building material?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:21 am 
Singularity ∞

Okay, NOW I have a musical guilty pleasure. Just started listening last week and I'm totally into it.

Give me another week or so and there will be no more guilt, but for the moment I'm like, "I can't believe I'm listening to this shit. And not even ironically!"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:33 am 
Sinkhole

caryc wrote:
JFelix wrote:

I am totally on board with the Disneyland ride soundtracks, JFelix. Even if you were joking, I am not.

I listen to Fantasmic, the Main Street Electrical Parade, the Haunted Mansion, and the Pirates of the Carribean rides at least every few months. No shame in that!

Could be that any kid of divorce who lived in the Anaheim area in the 80s all had annual passes and that was our church. Praise be to Disneyland.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:06 am 

Shoe wrote:
Give me another week or so and there will be no more guilt, but for the moment I'm like, "I can't believe I'm listening to this shit. And not even ironically!"

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Beautiful.