It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sernd Shitty documentary
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:24 am 
Singularity ∞

Sound City (2013)

Documentary by Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters, Nirvana) about Sound City studio, where a number of classic albums were recorded. The studio shut down a year or two ago.

The first half is a great look back at both the studio and the musicians that have worked there. Classic rock fans will enjoy the interviews with Mick Fleetwood, Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks, John Fogerty and more.

In the second part, Dave buys the legendary soundboard, installs it in his home, and invites rock legends to come write music with him and record it. This is where the Paul McCartney collaboration comes from, and it features prominently.

Watching them all write together was amazing. Paul is a genius. My favorite bit was a moment where Paul comes up with a great idea, the vibes are good, and Dave says, "I wish it was always this easy."

Paul looks at him matter of factly: "It is."

If you are interested in the creative process behind rock and roll, check this out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:28 am 

One of my favorites from last year. I saw it on a plane and then rented it again when I got home. The soundtrack is pretty good as well. The Rick Springfield and Stevie Nicks tracks especially.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:36 am 
Singularity ∞

I've got to be honest, the Rick Springfield stuff surprised me. Jessie's Girl is great and all, but I had no idea the guy could legitimately rock.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:13 pm 

Shoe wrote:
I've got to be honest, the Rick Springfield stuff surprised me. Jessie's Girl is great and all, but I had no idea the guy could legitimately rock.

I know, right? That song has some really cool changes in it and it moves 90mph.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:39 pm 
Canyon

Saw this too and I have to say -- it's one of the coolest rock docs I've ever seen. And my appreciation for Mr. Grohl continues to grow by leaps and bounds.

On the Springfield thing, I was actually a legitimate fan back in the 80's and this doc actually reminded me why. The dude is a supremely talented songwriter and that new song sounds as good as anything he did back in the day. Easily one of the best songs on the soundtrack.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:41 am 
Singularity ∞

Grohl is pretty much the coolest dude in rock. I don't see how it's possible to not love the guy, even if you don't like his music.

He clearly LOVES what he is doing. He geeks out at being surrounded by the legends of music. He is a total fanboy.

At the same time, he's a total rock star. Big stadium vibe, rock and roll party, epic rock star ... while still managing to be the goofy, normal dude next door you drink beers and tell fart jokes with.

You'd hang out with him, and you know you wouldn't be starstruck because he's just so normal. Even while being epic stadium rock star.

I have no idea how he manages to exist in both worlds, but he does. The Foos don't even rank in my top 20 as far as bands are concerned, but Grohl? He's my favorite person in rock and roll, by far.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:00 am 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
Grohl is pretty much the coolest dude in rock. I don't see how it's possible to not love the guy, even if you don't like his music.

He clearly LOVES what he is doing. He geeks out at being surrounded by the legends of music. He is a total fanboy...
Did you catch his introduction of RUSH in the Hall of Fame? He completely embraced the epic fanboy gushing role and pulled it off without ironic hipster cool. 100% authentic in what he was saying and 100% knowing how it was coming off. It was love.

P.S. The same induction ceremony that saw Public Enemy introduced by Sidney Poitier.

P.P.S. They sound exactly the same as they did in 1989.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:46 pm 
Singularity ∞

So it turns out Taylor Hawkins, the drummer for Foo Fighters, is pretty awesome solo, too.

Ignore the video, it's goofy, and just listen to the tune:

Pretty good stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:53 pm 

Bit of a Don Felder vibe going on in that song...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:42 pm 

I had Taylor Hawkins and the Coat Tail Riders and it's a decent album. Found it in a used bin for a few bucks at Amoeba a couple of years ago. Very laid back and fun. I must have traded it in though because looking at my CD's, I don't have it anymore. I really scaled back on my collection over the last two years.

Another unsung hero in Foo Fighters is Chris Shiflett. He has a podcast called Walking The Floor where he interviews mostly other musicians with a focus on old school country or classic Orange County Punk Rock. He was raised on punk and rose through that scene but discovered Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, etc. later in life. He's got a couple of albums out with his band The Dead Peasants. He's about to release another that was recorded in Nashville. His music has a very Americana vibe to it and just like Grohl and Hawkins, he's a big music fan and a very chill guy who you'd totally want to drink a beer with and trade songs.

His interview with Patterson Hood of Drive-By Truckers is a fantastic conversation.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:27 am 
Canyon

His entire solo album is totally worth a listen, too. Just queued it up the other day. A great listen.

You should also check out his Birds of Satan project, too. Great stuff.