It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:56 am 
Singularity ∞

Rumors have been swirling for some months now that Marvel is looking to eliminate the Fantastic Four, in large part because they are unhappy with Fox Studios handling of the franchise. If Fox doesn't make an FF movie for X number of years, Marvel Studios gets the rights back ... and obviously they'd like that. (So would I!)

So, the talk goes, Marvel is going to stop publishing anything that will promote the team, in the hops of tanking anything Fox does.

They've been mostly rumors, though there is anecdotal evidence supporting them. The FF have been omitted from 75th anniversary posters, for instance, and other stuff like that.

Now it's practically confirmed that Marvel is at least temporarily closing the door on the team:

Following widespread rumors and reports, it appears Marvel's Fantastic Four series may indeed end in 2015.

Hachette Book Group -- Marvel's distributor in the bookstore market since 2010 -- has listed a "Fantastic Four Vol. 4: The End is Fourever" collected edition by current creative team James Robinson and Leonard Kirk, with a release date of June 30, 2015. The product description states that the book will contain the "Triple Sized Final Issue 645."

This seemingly confirms earlier reports that Marvel plans to cease publication of a Fantastic Four series, at least temporarily, with some accounts attributing the motivation to dissatisfaction with 20th Century Fox, which controls the live-action rights to the characters.

In May, Comic Book Resources confirmed with multiple industry sources, speaking on the condition of anonymity, that a hiatus for the property was indeed planned.

Even if a Fantastic Four comic returns to the shelves at some future date, perhaps after the resolution of disputes with 20th Century Fox, even a temporary departure for the team would be significant given its landmark place in Marvel's history.

CBR has reached out to Marvel for confirmation of Hachette's listing, which reads in full:

THE END IS FOUREVER! Witness the closing act on the First Family of the Marvel Universe! THE INVADERS meet the FANTASTIC FOUR as the hunt for REED RICHARDS and the missing kids of the FUTURE FOUNDATION continues. Meanwhile the mastermind behind everything unveils his ultimate plan. But how does FRANKLIN RICHARDS factor in? And how does this all lead to...The END?! Collecting FANTASTIC FOUR #642-644 and the Triple Sized Final Issue 645!

Granted, comics have "ended" before as part of publicity stunts and reboots and whatnot, but that this comes during the height of these rumors suggesting Marvel is trying to undermine future FF movies is interesting.

Frankly, I hope the Fox movie does bomb and that Marvel gets the rights back.

Won't happen, though. Even if it bombs, Fox will just crank out a $1 million low budget crapfest solely to keep the rights from going back to Marvel, 'cause if Marvel was able to do an FF movie right now it would be EPIC.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:26 am 

I quite enjoyed the two FF movies. Not great, but certainly no worse than the Iron Man movies.

Don't care either way, although it's a bit of a dick move on Marvel's part. Are they killing off Spidey as well?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:39 am 
Singularity ∞

I enjoyed the FF movies, too. I think they're underrated by fans. Sure, Doctor Doom kind of sucked, but otherwise they were good fun. I wish they had made the planned third one.

Nah, they're not messing with Spidey. I suspect it's in part because they know there is no way they can wrest him back. Plus, Sony has Spidey, not Fox, and their relationship with Sony is much better.

Supposedly, in the X-Men and FF contracts Marvel is empowered to say "no" to any characters beyond the core characters named in the license and they are able to nix any story that substantively deviates from the characters as published. However, the contracts are supposedly written like shit, and Fox is disregarding Marvel's input and just doing what they want. For example, Singer added Quicksilver to the last X-Men movie after it had already been announced that Quicksilver would be in Avengers 2.

Think there is some bad blood here.

This strategy DID work for Ghost Rider. Ghost Rider was really big for a good 10 or 15 years. Marvel dropped him like a hot potato, the movies kind of sucked, and the studio went to Marvel and asked them to buy the rights back. Marvel did (along with Daredevil and some others).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:57 pm 
HMFIC

Yeah, I could see that. Not Fox letting the rights revert, but maybe low receipts on the reboot film creating a situation where Marvel can afford to buy them back. And I'd hope for it, too. I thought that the actual Fantastic Four in the movies were pretty decent, even if Doom did admittedly suck. But having them integrated into the existing Marvel Cinematic Universe would be cool.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:40 pm 
Singularity ∞

Chris Claremont tells a podcaster in an interview:

“I have to say quite honestly, as I understand it now, the X-department is forbidden to create new characters. ... All because all new characters become the film property of Fox. And there will be no X-Men merchandising for the foreseeable future because, why promote Fox material?”

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:43 pm 
Black Hole

I would let invisible Alba live on my penis.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:48 pm 

You can't really blame Marvel for this stance, why give a competing studio free characters to use. I would assume that under the current deal even unused characters like Cable or Deadpool belong to Fox. As far as the Fantastic Four are concerned while I enjoyed the first two movies I have serious doubts about the new one.

I would still love to see a Silver Surfer movie and while I don't think it will happen putting Beta Ray Bill in the next Thor movie would make me very happy.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:53 pm 

John Carter wrote:
Deadpool belong to Fox

He was in the Wolverine Origins film, and - thanks to the recently leaked demo footage, will be headlining in an upcoming Fox film. So, yes, Fox very definitely owns Deadpool.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:10 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
John Carter wrote:
Deadpool belong to Fox

He was in the Wolverine Origins film, and - thanks to the recently leaked demo footage, will be headlining in an upcoming Fox film. So, yes, Fox very definitely owns Deadpool.

That's right Ryan Reynolds played him, I had forgotten about that.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:13 pm 
Singularity ∞

While there is an element of nose spite face here, from a strategic standpoint it makes perfect sense. Marvel publishing is effectively the R&D wing for a MUCH bigger enterprise, so why spend your R&D time, money and resources creating material for someone else?

As I understand it, they might be able to get around this by creating mutants in OTHER books and then bringing them into the X-men.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:22 pm 

Shoe wrote:
While there is an element of nose spite face here, from a strategic standpoint it makes perfect sense. Marvel publishing is effectively the R&D wing for a MUCH bigger enterprise, so why spend your R&D time, money and resources creating material for someone else?

As I understand it, they might be able to get around this by creating mutants in OTHER books and then bringing them into the X-men.

As long as they don't call them "mutants".

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:28 pm 
Singularity ∞

I mean for the comics. It seems like they can create new mutants in the comics as long as they're in non-X books and then import them into X-Men without Fox getting the rights to them.

In the movies, yeah, there are no mutants at all. That's all Fox.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:35 pm 

Shoe wrote:
I mean for the comics. It seems like they can create new mutants in the comics as long as they're in non-X books and then import them into X-Men without Fox getting the rights to them.

In the movies, yeah, there are no mutants at all. That's all Fox.

I wonder if that include the Runaways.

edit

Nope according to Wikipedia, Marvel still owns the Runaways and was working on a script for a movie but is now looking at it for a tv series.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:49 pm 
Sinkhole

I know I'm months behind, but the "no new mutants" thing was pretty much disproven by the whole new team of young X-Men that Cyclops has been putting together during the Bendis run on Uncanny X-Men the last couple of years.