It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:45 pm 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:26 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:02 am 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:51 pm 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:38 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:51 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:38 am 

John Carter wrote:
Read

Went to dinner and a movie last night, and Christopher Moore was at the local bookshop signing his new book. I was pissed that we didn't have time to stand in line and get one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:46 am 

Kimfair wrote:
John Carter wrote:
Read

Went to dinner and a movie last night, and Christopher Moore was at the local bookshop signing his new book. I was pissed that we didn't have time to stand in line and get one.

That would be cool, I have the book but haven't read it yet.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:41 am 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:28 pm 

Finally finished this doorstop...

Fun books, if a bit clichéd considering all of the fantasy/sci-fi movies that have cribbed ideas from them over the last century.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:34 pm 

You brought up the word "doorstop" and I've been thinking about reading through all of my doorstops in 2016. I've got about ten or so of those collections and I've only read parts of each of them. I think the only one that I read cover to cover was Joseph Conrad's collected works. I may try to read the pieces I haven't from each of the others.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:53 am 
Pollution Baby

Been reading this to the boy at night. We read a chapter or 2 then talk about it for a while.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:54 pm 

Finally finished the first book in this collection (L' Morte De Arthur). Not sure when I'll read the other books. I'd never read it before and it was more fun than I expected.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:03 pm 
HMFIC

caryc wrote:

Finally finished the first book in this collection (L' Morte De Arthur). Not sure when I'll read the other books. I'd never read it before and it was more fun than I expected.

Arthurian lit was sort of a minor hobby of mine for a while. I've read a few versions. What else is in that collection?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:32 pm 
Singularity ∞

Eric wrote:

This is accurate.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:51 am 
HMFIC

Eric wrote:
caryc wrote:

Arthurian lit was sort of a minor hobby of mine for a while. I've read a few versions. What else is in that collection?

Never mind. Realized that was probably a Kindle illustration and found it on Amazon. For anyone else wondering: Le Morte d'Arthur, Idylls of the King, King Arthur and His Knights, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

Never read the one by Maude Radford Warren (King Arthur and His Knights). I've read the others. Which translation of Gawain?

Odd mix. Seems like somebody just found a lot of Arthur stuff that's out of copyright, but some good reading. Nearly everything I've read by Mark Twain other than Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn is flawed, and this is as well, but it's all entertaining as well.

Read The Once and Future King or Mists of Avalon? Both worthwhile (though nothing like each other and just as widely varying in tone as the stuff you've got there--Mists, though focusing on the female characters, isn't the sort of "chick lit" you might have gotten the impression it is).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:25 am 

Eric wrote:

Read The Once and Future King or Mists of Avalon? Both worthwhile (though nothing like each other and just as widely varying in tone as the stuff you've got there--Mists, though focusing on the female characters, isn't the sort of "chick lit" you might have gotten the impression it is).

Sorry I picked back up on this thread late. No, I've never read either of those books but I did try years ago to read Mists of Avalon. I couldn't get into it at the time. I wanted to pick it up again and try to read it this time but chose this collection over it. I'll definitely get to it, possibly in 2016.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:27 pm 
HMFIC

It's good. Though it could be off-putting, especially if you were looking for more of a straight re-telling of the legends.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:21 am 

Eric wrote:
It's good. Though it could be off-putting, especially if you were looking for more of a straight re-telling of the legends.

And to be honest, that's why I passed it over this time. I realized that while I thought I knew the King Arthur legends, all I knew was from movies. I'd never actually read them. So I thought I'd start with L' Morte De Arthur and then read others. I figured I would get more out of Mists of Avalon if I knew where it sprung from.

Do you feel that's true?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:28 pm 
HMFIC

caryc wrote:
Eric wrote:

And to be honest, that's why I passed it over this time. I realized that while I thought I knew the King Arthur legends, all I knew was from movies. I'd never actually read them. So I thought I'd start with L' Morte De Arthur and then read others. I figured I would get more out of Mists of Avalon if I knew where it sprung from.

Do you feel that's true?

I think it's certainly good to read Malory first. Most everything that came after him largely ripped him off. Stuff like the Mark Twain book, it isn't going to make much of a difference when you read it. Doesn't exactly develop the mythology.

I really like The Once and Future King quite a lot, and though there are lots of anachronisms (especially in early chapters; it was originally published as several books, and the tone changes noticeably), it's actually a largely straight re-telling of many of the myths, but with a more modern attempt to get into the characters' heads and make them more believable people. Filling in motivations and finding ways to rationalize inconsistent characterization, stuff like that. I'd say you could read that, and between that and Le Morte D'Arthur, you'd get everything that Mists is riffing on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:28 pm 

Eric wrote:

I really like The Once and Future King quite a lot, and though there are lots of anachronisms (especially in early chapters; it was originally published as several books, and the tone changes noticeably), it's actually a largely straight re-telling of many of the myths, but with a more modern attempt to get into the characters' heads and make them more believable people. Filling in motivations and finding ways to rationalize inconsistent characterization, stuff like that. I'd say you could read that, and between that and Le Morte D'Arthur, you'd get everything that Mists is riffing on.

Cool. Thanks for the recommendation. My goal is to read them both next year at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:59 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:29 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:38 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:37 pm 
Black Hole

ARMADA

The second major book from Cline (his first, READY PLAYER ONE is to be turned into a movie soon enough) and its work is similar to the first in that the readers that will best enjoy what he's laying down are those with some pop culture appreciation for all things that were shunned back in the 80s.

Comic books, movies about nerds, music that is counter-culture, games (from D&D to arcade to the first home gaming systems), etc.

If you lived it, it will be easier to understand most of the references.

The good thing is that the history of the references eventually fall away and (although they keep coming) they become just a bit of nerd-speak that most of the characters talk.

This is good since for most people reading the book, they really don't need to know where phrases or terminologies are originating from.

It's hard to say if all the nerd speak translates as it does with say, Clockwork Orange's Nadsat, but I feel that it would.

Overall, it is a solid, fun, sci-fi romp that leaves enough open to warrant another book (or two).

Some of the overall message is a bit heavy-handed, but that is okay since it isn't the main story.

Definitely a quick read I would recommend to anyone that enjoyed the first Cline book.

It isn't the first book and that is good, too.

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:27 pm 
HMFIC

When I'm spending most of my time looking after my own kids or banging my head against the wall (aka "trying to teach my students"), this is about all I can handle. Re-read the Harry Potter series.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:47 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:29 pm 

A bit of a lie here. I haven't read it yet but wanted to share some cool news. One of the members of my writer's group is Neal Shusterman. He writes YA books and this one is up for the National Book Award. He's one of the three finalists and is traveling to New York for the black tie ceremony on November 18. Pretty cool stuff. He's also a really great guy who's very approachable and eager to help other writers, so I'm giving him a shout out here.

I bought the book from Amazon yesterday. Waiting for delivery.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:19 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:24 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:34 am 
HMFIC

Pretty underwhelming. Can't recall when the last time I read something by Foster was, but it was sort of meh. Some overwrought narration and some very cliched plotting.

Never been much for Star Wars novels. Read the old-school Han Solo books and the novelization of the first book in junior high or so. Read the Zahn trilogy when it came out. And this. Better in movies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:51 pm 
Singularity ∞

God, No! Signs You May Already Be An Atheist and Other Magical Tales
By Penn Jillette

I have no use for loud, in-your-face atheism. I always wonder who the hell they're preaching to (and I use the word "preach" purposely).

I understand there's an argument to be made that young atheists who grew up in deeply religious households want reinforcement that it's okay to be an atheist, but eh. By and large these books don't actually offer such support. They're extended attack pieces that amount to "Christians are so stupid!" for 300 pages.

No thanks. Pass.

I do like Penn Jillette quite a bit, though -- he's funny, smart, and funny (and also arrogant, brash, and profane, so there is that) -- and needed an audio book for my walks, so I hit the archives and decided to give this one a go.

Mercifully, the title is a little misleading. Ostensibly it's a book about atheism, but in fact the "and other magical tales" makes up 80% of the book.

Most of this is a series of autobiographical stories about the crazy shit he's done and seen, and the crazy people he's known, usually with some kind of lesson embedded in the entertainment. They tend to be funny and have very little (if anything) to do with atheism, religion, or belief. Lots of stuff about Vegas show people, oddball exual antics, coping with family matters, and so on.

Maybe three chapters concern topics of faith or lack thereof. One is innocuous and funny, concerning how he thinks fake boobs and tattoos are the ultimate rebellion against God. He spends another chapter attacking agnostics and saying that atheists should be trying to convert people as much as possible. I found myself disagreeing with him a lot in this one. And a late chapter deals with terrorism and its relation to religion.

Otherwise, there are sprinkled references to his atheism throughout, but it's not a book about atheism per se. It's a book that happens to be by an atheist.

That's good, because I don't need to be preached to or lectured, I'm content with my view of the world (which is actually quite close to Penn's), and I also don't need to demean or attack the beliefs of others. There is plenty of room for all in the world.

Not for everyone, but if you like Penn & Teller and find Penn entertaining, you might enjoy this. The atheism-specific chapters are LOUD and in your face, so be forewarned, but the rest is a lot of behind-closed-doors shenanigans and it's good fun. Fun, but highly profane in every imaginable way, so keep that in mind!

By the way, I recommend the audio over the print. The audio is read by Penn, which means it's chock full o' his expressive personality. He's very conversational in his reading. Well done.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:50 am 
Singularity ∞

Shock Value:
How a Few Eccentric Outsiders Gave Us Nightmares, Conquered Hollywood, and Invented Modern Horror

by Jason Zinoman

Dealing with horror movies from the late '60s to the early '80s, and mostly focused on the 1970s, the author zeroes in on the people (most of whom any avid horror fan could guess) and landmark horror films (ditto) that helped change the genre and that influenced movies for decades to come.

Each chapter tends to center around a specific director and his most notable work, which is discussed under a broader thematic umbrella, such as Hitchcock's influence on modern horror or how the "new horror" dealt with monsters in a way that was different from the past.

I'm not sure that ardent fans of the genre will learn much from this, as it came across to me as dealing with the sort of things most fans would know -- basic bios, overviews of the films, etc. -- though I'm sure they'd be entertained by the many behind the scene anecdotes in the book, and they'd enjoy agreeing or quibbling with the author's arguments and interpretations. I found Dan O'Bannon's story especially sad. (The author makes the case that he's an unheralded major player of the era.)

Cronenberg, it should be noted, is mostly glossed over.

For me, a guy who has seen the major works and knows the names of the major directors but who otherwise has never considered myself a real horror fan, it helped put films like Rosemary's Baby, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Halloween in context. The book discusses not just how and why they were made, but why they were important, what they had to say, what they did that was so different, and how they are still influencing films of today.

It skates into the '80s (both Freddy and Jason get very light treatment near the end of the book) and then does a super fast skim through films of today. The focus here is on the '70s.

Oh, and the book is written in a novel-like fashion. No data dumps here. It's presented like a narrative and reads easy.

Hardcore horror films fans may like this as a quick refresher, though they might be disappointed at not getting any new revelations. The book ain't deep. Fringe fans like me will find it a good primer on the heyday of modern horror, though, that offers an instant education on films anyone in their 30s, 40s and 50s certainly knows well. Recommended for the latter group.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:24 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:46 pm 

aka Family Guy Cutaways: The Novel

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next