It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:47 pm 
Black Hole

The first episode of season 2 was a strong outing and looks to be bringing a great season ahead.

I won't say much in case others are still going to watch their DVR'd copy.

I did watch the Talking Saul show afterward and that was about what I expected: Amusing enough, but of course limited in scope because no one's going to say much.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:13 pm 

I really enjoyed this first episode of Season 2. I thought season one was really strong as well. I love how we're so far into the story, and he hasn't even changed his name yet. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:10 pm 

I will watch the next spin-off focusing on S.G. Cinnabon manager.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:05 am 
Singularity ∞

Only started season two a few nights ago. Got so engrossed I went through it all in three nights.

Stellar stuff. The BB fanboy in me loves the tie-ins, but the real beauty of this show is that it's a strong show all on its own. It's once again how two borderline men fall into bad behavior, but done in a much different way, with much different characters.

And that goddamn clifhanger. AUUUUGHHHH!!!

Really fantastic, though. This show is way better than it has any right to be. It should be weak fan service drek. Instead, it's genuinely excellent television that would be excellent even if it had nothing to do with Breaking Bad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:10 pm 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
Only started season two a few nights ago. Got so engrossed I went through it all in three nights.

Stellar stuff. The BB fanboy in me loves the tie-ins, but the real beauty of this show is that it's a strong show all on its own. It's once again how two borderline men fall into bad behavior, but done in a much different way, with much different characters.

And that goddamn clifhanger. AUUUUGHHHH!!!

Really fantastic, though. This show is way better than it has any right to be. It should be weak fan service drek. Instead, it's genuinely excellent television that would be excellent even if it had nothing to do with Breaking Bad.

The wife is watching and she never watched BB - she really likes this show, though.

Went through the last 3 episodes this week and they didn't disappoint.

Jimmy's brother, Chuck, is a real dickhead, IMHO.

Mike is awesome, but I am wondering who snuck up on his car - the obvious choice would be Nacho, but Nacho was in the shed, right?

All the dynamics and action is solid.

:thumbs:

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:01 pm 
Singularity ∞

Pender wrote:

That's the beauty of Vince Gilligan's writing. Chuck is the dickhead, Jimmy is getting jerked around by his asshole brother ...

Except Chuck is right, isn't he? Jimmy is a dishonest, deceitful con artist with shitty morals. Chuck's kind of an asshole, but he's also justified when it comes to Jimmy.

Yet just like with Walter White, who was a lying drug manufacturer (and later murderer), Gilligan gets us to root for him instead of the person whose actually on the right side of the law, morals, ethics, etc.

Brilliant stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:30 pm 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
Pender wrote:

That's the beauty of Vince Gilligan's writing. Chuck is the dickhead, Jimmy is getting jerked around by his asshole brother ...

Except Chuck is right, isn't he? Jimmy is a dishonest, deceitful con artist with shitty morals. Chuck's kind of an asshole, but he's also justified when it comes to Jimmy.

Yet just like with Walter White, who was a lying drug manufacturer (and later murderer), Gilligan gets us to root for him instead of the person whose actually on the right side of the law, morals, ethics, etc.

Brilliant stuff.

Actually, I think the problem is that Jimmy is a man with morals and ethics.

For example, his dedication to making things right in the world for Kim:

"You deserve the account - now you have it. All is right with the world."

And just because Chuck was on "the right side of the law" when he stole the account from Kim, and doesn't make him any less deceitful, dishonest, and horrifyingly evil.

For example, his refusal to tell Jimmy that their mother's dying words were her calling to Jimmy.

That is fucking pure evil. Diabolical evil.

When Jimmy told Chuck to come down and roll in the mud with him, Chuck's refusal to do so was because he already knew he was covered in shit.

No, no, no. I don't view Jimmy's spiral to be anywhere near the same as Walter's.

Even the eventual Cinnabon end is very different than Walter's end.

Add in to the mix the final moments of Walter and Jimmy/Saul interacting (which I just saw again last night on IFC) and you'll see very distinct characters. Walter went off the rails and turned broke bad. Saul Goodman is a "Good Man" - it's in his name.

When you are a good man in this world, it will eventually fuck you.

That's my view on it, so far, at least.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:24 pm 
Singularity ∞

He didn't steal the account from Kim. She brought it to her firm, then left the firm. Nothing wrong with her working to bring the account with her when she left -- that's all on the up and up, totally legit -- but the account is the firm's, regardless of the fact that she put in the work to get it. She did that work on behalf of the firm.

And Chuck was not deceitful, dishonest, or horrifyingly evil in how he retained the client. He pointed out, quite accurately, that she was just one person with limited experience, while he had vast and specific experience, plus the resources of an entire firm behind him.

That's neither deceitful nor dishonest, it's the truth.
Quote:
For example, his refusal to tell Jimmy that their mother's dying words were her calling to Jimmy.

That is fucking pure evil. Diabolical evil.

What? No, that's not evil, it's a sad sack old dude who was dealing with a painful emotional blow just delivered to him by his mother. It may not have been nice or rational on his part, but it ain't evil. It was just something he didn't know how to deal with because of his relationship with his brother, and he handled it wrong.

There is no evil in that.
Quote:
No, no, no. I don't view Jimmy's spiral to be anywhere near the same as Walter's.

He ends up working for major drug dealers, covering up deaths, pushing people to assassinate their friends (he suggests Walt kill Jesse or that he has Jesse killed), ripping people off, and so on.

He's kind of a piece of shit.

A likeable piece of shit and a different sort than Walt was, he kind of wants to be good whereas Walt only half cares about that, but a piece of shit all the same.

Walt was all broken ego and evil. He was a genuine bad dude who did bad shit because he didn't care about others and needed his ego stroked. He was a broken man and that drove him to do awful things. Jimmy isn't like that, so they differ there. He's not evil. He's not going to murder someone, he's not going to get his hands dirty. He has a better heart that Walt.

He's still kind of a scumbag, though, and was before the start of BCS. "Slippin' Jimmy," remember? He was a scam artist from the very start, taking advantage of people and screwing people over.

Whatever ethics he has, they are slippery as fuck.

That's why Gilligan is so good at what he does. I like Jimmy. I'm rooting for him. That cliffhanger with Chuck blew me away. I can't wait to see how he gets out of it. I want to see him blow the doors of Chuck and "beat" him. But objectively, Jimmy is a dirtbag. He's not a good man, he's a grifter. Yet Gilligan has a great gift for getting us to root for people like that. We see them as being better than they really are and imagine they are good even when all the evidence makes clear they aren't.

Dude knows what he is doing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:18 pm 
Black Hole

Maybe you might not think that Chuck is evil - but withholding information from his own brother about the last moments of their mother is cruel. Maybe it's because of my own mother making her way to the end and the fucked up way my brothers treat her that I feel this more than you, but dynamics like this are seriously fucked up.

Aren't you a single child?

Having come from a larger family that was split by nearly 1.5 decades, my sister and I raised by the radical native American hippie mom and my 3 brothers raised by my Catholic strict mom. We all have huge differences in our relationships like Jimmy and Chuck.

I openly approve of my mother doing her life the way she needs to and they want to put her into a home.

They get annoyed by her deteriorating health and I just accept it the best I can.

Besides all that, Corporate rules might be "legal" - but that doesn't make corporate fuckings moral or even right.

I have a friend that's working for a large pharmaceutical corporation and him and another friend can't admit to playing video games occasionally together because they might be fired. Totally legal for a corporation to rule over their employees' free time: Is it right? Fuck no.

That type of control is akin to slavery as far as I am concerned.

As Jimmy pointed out the Firm would never known about the account without Kim. Additionally, Kim wasn't trying to bring in the account for the Firm more than she was trying to get out of the the shit hole Chuck had relegated her to because of his hatred for his brother, Jimmy.

Kim's rant at Chuck was on point because it was true.

Even Jimmy's confession to his brother was done from love for his brother.

A love his brother doesn't share or want.

And as per Apocalypse Now! it's all dialectics, man. You either love someone or you hate them.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:33 pm 

We had a reference to "Saul Goodman" in an earlier season, but it's nice to finally get an origin to the name - "It's just a name."

I love this show too much.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:26 am 
Black Hole

brian wrote:
We had a reference to "Saul Goodman" in an earlier season, but it's nice to finally get an origin to the name - "It's just a name."

I love this show too much.

I am enjoying the 3rd season very much.

The "real meaning" of the name is awesome - so much so, that it is sublimely key but overwhelmingly a "hunh" type of explanation.

To say it would be a spoiler, IMHO.