It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:21 pm 
HMFIC

Anybody else fail to get that mini NES thing last fall?

It pissed me off. So I ordered a couple NES controllers with USB plugs and downloaded emulators (first fceux, then RetroArch) to play the old games without giving Nintendo my money. My son likes the Super Mario games (I haven't let him play stuff like Contra).

Wife's going out of town this weekend. Coincidentally, Dell had a sale a week or so ago. Bought a refurbished desktop with HDMI out so I can hook it up to the TV, and I've got a couple USB SNES controllers coming in the mail, so I'm figuring to hole up on a rainy Saturday and play Super Mario Kart with the kids.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:06 pm 

Yes, I missed out too. Thank you for giving the ol' fuck you to Nintendo.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:20 pm 
HMFIC

I doubt they'll feel my "fuck you," but they really seem to be making horrible business decisions. If they'd have made enough of those consoles, people would've bought the fuck out of them. And long, LONG before they exhausted the demand, they decided not to make more. Stupid.

But that just means you can play hundreds of games instead of 30 or whatever, and for far cheaper, with the emulator. And they seem to play fine, even if they occasionally look a bit odd.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:50 pm 

The only two horrible business decisions Nintendo ever made were not convincing Rare and Factor Five to stick with them. I could be playing GoldenEye 14 and Rogue Squadron 6 on a Switch right now, but no.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:21 am 
HMFIC

Chris Knight wrote:
The only two horrible business decisions Nintendo ever made were not convincing Rare and Factor Five to stick with them. I could be playing GoldenEye 14 and Rogue Squadron 6 on a Switch right now, but no.

Also downloaded an N64 core for RetroArch, so GoldenEye and Rogue Squadron will be on the menu as soon as the USB N64 controllers come in the mail.

But the only bad decisions? They could've sold 100 times as many of those mini systems as they did, and they just sort of decided not to. That's stupid.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:44 am 

Eric wrote:
But the only bad decisions? They could've sold 100 times as many of those mini systems as they did, and they just sort of decided not to. That's stupid.

Eh, I think they were sitting on Wii consoles that weren't selling, and this was an easy way to get rid of them.
You can get another chance with the upcoming mini SNES. If it sells well (of course it will), I have a feeling Nintendo will make this an annual thing.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:22 am 
Singularity ∞

They did end up driving a LOT of people towards emulation.

I've been emulating since the late 1990s, when I discovered Nesticle, but I'd happily buy one of these throwback consoles for the whole aesthetic aspect. Will probably buy one of the Genesis units one of these days -- and THOSE can actually play the original cartridges in addition to the built-in games!

Also have a laptop set up with 9500 games and some retro controllers.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:56 pm 
HMFIC

I was absolutely ready to plunk down $60 for the legit system. The prospect of plunking down $200 convinced me to do the emulation thing instead.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:41 pm 

Shoe wrote:
They did end up driving a LOT of people towards emulation.

I've been emulating since the late 1990s, when I discovered Nesticle, but I'd happily buy one of these throwback consoles for the whole aesthetic aspect. Will probably buy one of the Genesis units one of these days -- and THOSE can actually play the original cartridges in addition to the built-in games!

Also have a laptop set up with 9500 games and some retro controllers.

I've read that the sound emulation on the Genesis retro consoles is horrendous, in case that's something you care about.

I have a flash cart for my Sega. Original hardware, but one SD card with the entire system's library.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:10 pm 
HMFIC

The only controllers I have are USB NES controllers, but I've got other stuff in the mail on the way to the house. Got some Genesis ROMs, but I'll probably be playing them with SNES controllers unless I encounter a compelling reason to need the six buttons. I don't remember how necessary those were.

Downloaded the Genesis X Plus core for RetroArch. If you've got another suggestion, I'll listen.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:18 pm 

I havent emulated genesis in ages, so I can't help you. My comments were directed at the hardware emulation systems that Shoe mentioned.

3 button should be fine for all but fighters.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:34 pm 
HMFIC

Genesis isn't a priority for me. I'll probably play Sonic once or twice.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:07 pm 

Well then, pretty sure buttons A, B, and C all did the same thing - jump or in the sequels, spin dash + jump

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:42 am 
HMFIC

Fired it up yesterday. The first Sonic played fine with just an NES controller, and probably looked more seamless than many of the games on the other emulated systems.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:03 am 
Singularity ∞

Eric wrote:
Got some Genesis ROMs, but I'll probably be playing them with SNES controllers unless I encounter a compelling reason to need the six buttons. I don't remember how necessary those were.

The three-buttons are fine for 99% of Sega games, so you're good. Very few need the six-button.

That said, it's criminal to play Sega games with a Nintendo controller. You ought to be forced to vote Trump for doing something like that. Just get this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KX ... UTF8&psc=1

I've been very happy with mine.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:52 pm 
HMFIC

Suggesting that anyone should vote for Trump, forced or otherwise, is offensive enough that you should be forced to do something Trump-related. Not vote for him, obviously. Maybe watch an entire press conference where he speaks.

The main things I remember on Genesis, other than Sonic, were Mortal Kombat and Altered Beast. Those aren't things I'll let my kid play, so I don't know how often it'll be used. But thanks for the recommendation.