It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Rebels
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:43 pm 
HMFIC

Legit Blu-Rays? Or one of the de-specialized edits?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:32 pm 
Singularity ∞

Legit blu-rays. I have the original originals sitting around somewhere on disc or a hard drive or something, but I'm honestly not too concerned about them except for archival purposes. Aside from the Jabba scene in Star Wars, Luke's "nooooo!" in ESB (which has been removed), and the two new songs in Jedi, I like the Special Edition just fine and have no problem with them being my primary version.

Suppose I could have waited a few years for the inevitable trilogy of trilogies box set, but I bet that fucker costs $500.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:46 pm 

If you need Rebels season 2, I could accidentally send it to you. It's 32GB.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:20 pm 
HMFIC

Shoe wrote:
... I like the Special Edition just fine and have no problem with them being my primary version.

Well, to each his own. That stuff pulls me out of the movie every time. I haven't bought them since the 2006 DVDs, and I only bought them on DVD once, in the edition that had the laserdisc transfers on a 2nd disc. I don't think I've ever put on the first disc, and not the second since I found higher-quality versions online.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:17 am 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
If you need Rebels season 2, I could accidentally send it to you. It's 32GB.

Thank you for the offer. I just about have them all in (much) lower def, but if they prove to be messed up or lousy quality, I might accidentally send you a PM.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:25 am 

There's a lot of garbage in season 2, but quite a few excellent episodes (especially toward the end). Season 3, as a whole, is far better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:03 pm 

I like this children's cartoon far more than I would have expected.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:56 pm 
Singularity ∞

Looks like I have all the eps now. Not sure when I'll get around to watching them, but it's nice to know I have them all on hand.

Put The Phantom Menace on in the background while working today and kept getting irrationally angry at it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:55 pm 

I lost a friend over Phantom Menace. He hated it. I genuinely liked it (and still do). He couldn't understand how I could like it. Never talked to me ever again.

I don't even remember his name.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:57 pm 
Singularity ∞

Eric.

His name was Eric.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:34 pm 
HMFIC

I actually like fairly large chunks of The Phantom Menace. The Jar Jar stuff sucks, but the beginning where the uncomfortably Asian aliens are scared shitless of the Jedi is pretty cool. Most of the Jedi stuff is pretty good. The kid sucks too, but the lightsaber battle at the end is pretty great.

Of the films as originally released, Attack of the Clones is about the only one I can't find much to like about. But the re-edits of the original trilogy do annoy me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:48 pm 

Everyone makes fun of the "sand is coarse" monologue from AotC, but it gets quoted nearly as much as "I am your Father". For better or worse, even the awkward stuff in the prequels is more memorable than any scene in The Force Awakens. I'll have to revisit this thought in 2 or 3 years, but I don't think people will be quoting anything from Episodes 7-9 in a decade.

Unless you really dig those stupid looking Porgs*.

*What's up with the new trilogy relying heavily on mono-syllabic names anyway? It goes against the grain, and feels very lazy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:51 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
Everyone makes fun of the "sand is coarse" monologue from AotC, but it gets quoted nearly as much as "I am your Father".

There was a hilarious reference to it in an episode of Rebels last season.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:00 pm 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
For better or worse, even the awkward stuff in the prequels is more memorable than any scene in The Force Awakens.

I agree with this.

The Force Awakens was safe, paint-by-numbers Star Wars.

For all their flaws, at least the prequels kept giving us a nonstop series of new things to see, new characters, new places, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:35 pm 
HMFIC

Chris Knight wrote:
Everyone makes fun of the "sand is coarse" monologue from AotC, but it gets quoted nearly as much as "I am your Father".

There's a lot to dislike in that movie beyond that speech. Every bit of the Anakin/Padme storyline sucks, as well as the stereotypically 50s style of the diner and some of the flying cars, the way the characters act like idiots so that the clone mystery plot will play out, and all the droid comic relief.

Chris Knight wrote:
Unless you really dig those stupid looking Porgs*.

I'm suspending judgement in the hopes that they'll find some way to make them suck less than Ewoks. Much like I'm suspending judgement on the safe choices in The Force Awakens that Shoe rightfully pointed out, in the hopes that it was set-up for more progress in the next couple movies. There were thrills in that movie, but they mostly traded on nostalgia (think "The garbage will do!").

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:43 am 
Singularity ∞

There is a lot to like in The Phantom Menace, it's just buried in so much nonsense it's hard to unpeel the good movie within. You really can assemble a good Star Wars flick out of what's here, though. I virtually NEVER want to watch it, but I DO like to watch certain scenes.

* Pretty much ALL the Jedi stuff is fantastic. The opening scenes with the Jedi and viceroy are great. The Maul fight is the second best in the whole series. It's all good stuff.

* The locations are magnificent. Lucas wisely tapped into some nostalgia with Tatooine, but then gave us some great new settings in Naboo and Coruscant. These are great locations.

* The senate stuff is actually fairly intriguing and makes for a nice running thread through all three prequels. A lot of people make fun of it - "a movie about trade disputes, just what fans wanted!" - but it really IS a good element that opens up a previously unseen part of the Star Warsverse.

* Ewan McGregor is terrific. Liam Neeson is pretty great, too.

* The red laser doors, Qui-Gon meditating while Maul stalks back and forth and Obi-Wan canbarely contain his rage? Awesome.

* The pod race. That scene is a tour de force, both from a technical standpoint (the sound!) and from as directing standpoint. Lucas can't direct people, but he staged a fantastic setpiece there.

BUT

Jar Jar.

"Yipee!"

Poop jokes.

Zany antics.

Some non-sensical story points.

Terrible acting by some talented actors.

Anakin winning the space fight.

Just lots and lots of bad stuff peppers all throughout.

Kids loved it, though, so ultimately that's pretty huge. And honestly, I give TPM far more credit than The Force Awakens, because at least this tried to forge its own identity.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:48 am 
Singularity ∞

Attack of the Clones could also be pretty okay, with some judicious cuts. Obi-Wan's detective story was so, so, so much wasted screen time. This is STAR WARS. The moment he yanked that dart thing out of the bounty hunter, he should have known where to go next. Wipe screen, boom, he's there.

And the final battle, as packed full of crazy war visuals as it was, was an unfocused mess. Poorly staged, poorly directed, just a lot of sound and fury, and a totally shit lightsaber duel at the end.

Also, C3PO in the factory. What. The. Fuck?

Oh, oh, and Little Boba.

Otherwise, the chase through the city was fantastic, the asteroid belt scene was cool, the clone army facility was great, Christopher Lee was inspired casting, all the new tech and toys on display in the final reel were super cool, Anakin's initial turn towards the dark side on Tatooine was actually well-conceived, once AGAIN, plenty of new ideas and locations and cool places to see, and the subtle way in which the Empire begins to be birthed was really well done. Plus, McGregor is just FANTASTIC here. He really sells this shit.

There is a good movie hidden in there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:52 am 
Singularity ∞

I've got nothing bad to say about Revenge of the Sith. I really like it. In fact, if I ignore nostalgia, I put it at #3 overall, behind the original two.

Seriously! (Rogue One is sniffing at its heels, though.)

Yes, Anakin's turn was a little on the sudden side, but he was an impulsive youth filled with anger, frustration and memories of a crap childhood. He was insecure and juvenile. It's believable. And wedging Chewbacca in there was kind of silly. And, of course, "Noooooooo!"

Otherwise, it's a pretty great Star Wars movie. Great set pieces, great locations, actually has a lot of good dialogue and some solid acting, the slow unveiling of the truth behind Palpatine was great. More AWESOME Ewan McGregor. The opening space battle is stunning.

It's chock full of good stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:58 am 
Singularity ∞

Rogue One is a decent movie lifted much higher than it earns thanks to that AMAZING final 15 minutes.

Taken on its own, it has a lot of good ideas and some great characters who aren't fleshed out nearly as much as they deserve, some excellent locations, and a story that is kind of a mess if you look at it too closely. A lot of half-baked elements (like the mind-reading blog, and Forrest Whitaker's character in general), and it drags in places.

BUT, the last reel is pretty great, and the final sequences are so amazing the whole movie suddenly gets points added to its rating at the last minute.

Plus, What'shername was great in the role and she's super easy on the eyes, a terrific space battle, a cool new (and somewhat wasted) villain, a fairly impressive return for Tarkin, a stunning Vader scene (the less said about the god awful first Vader scene, the better), and the robot character was a scene-stealer.

It's good stuff, thought of more highly than it deserves thanks to the last scene, but good all the same.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:02 am 
Singularity ∞

A New Hope is classic. There is nothing not to like here. Even Mark Hamill's line readings are earnest, even if a few are cheesy. The scale at times doesn't hold up compared to newer movies - the space battle is fairly small, Mos Eisley is a damn village, etc - but otherwise, this is the real deal.

The Jabba scene from the Special Edition can go, otherwise there isn't much that needs to be said here.

Same with Empire. The Empire Strikes Back is perfect. The second act is actually a little on the slow side, but it does a better job of character-building than anywhere else in all the Star Wars films, so slow is fine there. Best lightsaber fight in the series. Lots of emotion. Amazing locations. Etc.

Empire is damn near perfect.

Return of the Jedi, nostalgia helps keep this one lifted, but the Tatooine sequences ARE cool and the space battle IS absolutely amazing, probably the best of the series. Luke and Vader and Empy in the throne room is great, too. Han is pretty soft in this one, more Harrison Ford than Han Solo, and the ewoks do not hold up well, but the speed bikers are still awesome as shit.

Get rid of the two new songs and this is still great stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:03 am 
Singularity ∞

The Force Awakens is forgettable paint-by-numbers Star Wars that introduces some great new characters and then has them dance a boring dance.

The trailers for The Last Jedi have left me cold. But fingers crossed all the same ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:58 am 
HMFIC

I agree with almost all of that, but feel you gave the second prequel more credit than it's due. If there's a decent movie in there, it's about a half hour long, and probably incomprehensible because too much of the plot needs to be cut away.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:07 am 
Pollution Baby

God you fuckers are old....

Tell me you didn't get goosebumps when the 'Resistance' (aka: Rebels 2.0) X-Wing group came in to save the day at The Battle of 'Old Forest Space Bar'.

Spoiler: show

AWESOME!

Yes, it followed a 'formula' from the original Star Wars which followed a formula from Akira Kurosawa, so what? It worked/s.

Played it safe? They killed off one of the most beloved characters, did not include another one until the final scene (and he didn't speak), made the main bad guy a whiny fanboy school shooter (literally, he destroyed/shot up/lightsabered his Jedi school), and a good guy storm trooper (that happens to be black).

Played it safe?

They gave us what we love about Star Wars, which is the fucking formula, and a bunch of new characters and sets.

OK, Death Star 3.0 was a bit lazy, but it shoots 5 beams now!

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:38 am 

Ericubus wrote:
OK, Death Star 3.0 was a bit lazy, but it shoots 5 beams now!

Across the galaxy. In an instant. :loser:

I have not managed to sit through all of Force Awakens more than twice. I love the new characters. Hate the storytelling, and Abrams retarded mind. It is nothing like other Star Wars.

What was the ship Han and Chewie were piloting when they picked up Rey and Finn? Can you hum Kylo's theme? What was the name of the New Republic's homeworld that got destroyed? Little things like that, add up to a what is - at best - a big budget Star Wars fan film.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:58 am 
Pollution Baby

When I first saw Star Wars, at 6, I'm sure I couldn't hum a song from it at all either, but I did remember Luke blowing up the death Star, and Han shooting Greedo, and Darth Fucking Vader, you know, the fun parts that actually made us love the films, and I do remember the Resistance flying in to save the day, and the big fucking gun planet and Rey and Fin flying the Falcon from Tie Fighters, you know, the fun stuff.

P.S. The name 'The Millennium Falcon' is both awesome and dumb if you think about it for a second (what the fuck is a falcon to these people), and if they had made it a point to name Han's ship in Awakens, and it turned out to be something like 'Epoch Eagle' you would be saying how dumb it was.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:19 am 

Every name in Star Wars is stupid - "Skywalker". Even "The Empire Strikes Back" was regarded as an awful title for a film in 1979. Early action figures were called Snaggletooth and Hammerhead. And it was AWESOME.

BTW, the Falcon is so named, because the early design looks exactly like the Eagle from Space 1999. They just changed the bird name and 1999 became Millenium.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:29 am 
Singularity ∞

Ericubus wrote:
Tell me you didn't get goosebumps when the 'Resistance' (aka: Rebels 2.0) X-Wing group came in to save the day at The Battle of 'Old Forest Space Bar'.

I legitimately didn't. :lol:

The camera pan to the first glimpse of the Falcon got me good, yes. And when Han and Chewie first walked on screen. And seeing Leia. And the amazing glimpse of Luke. All that stuff really got me.

But that's sort of my problem. All that was just trading on nostalgia.

The unique moments created by JJA did little for me. I loved the characters, Rey is fantastic and I really appreciated the twist on a Vader-like villains. Great stuff.

I'm with Chris, though. It felt like a big budget fan film. Now Rogue One, that nailed it. Even with all its flaws, it felt like something fresh and new (despite actually mining the past even more than Force Awakens did!). I felt like I was IN the Star Wars world instead of watching someone play with Star Wars toys.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:43 am 
Pollution Baby

Well then, I'm sorry for your death inside.

When I first saw it, opening night, I loved that scene, which was only enhanced by sitting next to my kids who were going absolutely insane over it, and I still love it on subsequent viewings.

We watched Rogue One again Saturday night, and I also like that film, as do the kids. Of course, I had a 15 minute conversation with my daughter afterward to convince her that Jyn is not Rey, and Jyn is indeed dead.
I credit Rogue One with bringing Darth Vader back to the Darth Fucking Vader level. Even the first scene did that, minus the last lame dad joke, when he started leaning into the Commander and you can see his fear, but 'The Hallway Scene' will now live forever as the rebirth of the biggest badass in cinematic history. I was smiling so wide I could taste earwax.
Yes, the film isn't perfect or even great, they could have done a much better job with establishing Jyn's character arc which takes place in the story and not in her. She turns from a dangerous reckless criminal that thinks only of her own survival, to a completely selfless hero that passionately argues for the Rebellion's cause and goes on what she knows is probably a suicide mission for the greater good. But I still love watching it, and the droid does steal the film.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:59 am 
Pollution Baby

But, can we get back to talking about these films as we would have in the DVD File days?

Who would you most like to have happy sexy time with, Rey or (an alive) Jyn?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:15 am 
Singularity ∞

Ericubus wrote:
Who would you most like to have happy sexy time with, Rey or (an alive) Jyn?

Jyn, easy.

Rey is cute as hell and quite fit, nothing wrong with her, but Jyn has a FAR better figure, curvy but still thin, and she's got a super sexy mouth.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:58 am 

I'm pretty sure Jyn likes it rough. Rey has probably never even seen a penis.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:33 pm 
Singularity ∞

REY vs. JYN
(As regular people)

REY:

JYN:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:49 pm 
Singularity ∞

I've been half-watching all the movies the last few days, one a day, as I work. Phantom Menace and Clones the last few days. Today, Revenge of the Sith.

Every time I see this one I like it more. It's a really damn good Star Wars flick.

Aside from a line or two, the writing is really strong. The acting is strong. The set pieces are great. The story is great. There are even a few really well done sequences that show strong directing choices (the silent scene of Anakin just before turning, when Made Windu was going to bring in Palpatine; Anakin and Palpatine talking at the opera; and Anakin with the younglings).

This is good shit.

Sure, the "nooooo!" at the end is pretty bad, Portman is a little wasted, and the naming of Luke and Leia is pretty clunky, but those are minor nitpicks at best.

If you wanted to watch the "full" saga, you could start here and it would be wall-to-wall awesome. TPM and Clones don't really give you much that is ESSENTIAL, save maybe Anakin's thing with his mom.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:29 pm 

I like all the little things that are going on in the first two - Qui-Gon's defiance, the Jedi's complacency, The rise of the Separatists, Palpatine's chess game, etc. All of these things are amplified in the Clone Wars series (which I've now watched three times), and has solidified my fondness for the prequels.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:22 pm 
Singularity ∞

I've watched chunks of the Clone Wars series and liked it a lot, but it's too damn much. I want someone to boil it down to the most essential story arcs, maybe 10 episodes total. I am NOT marathoning 120+ episodes of anything.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next