It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:42 pm 
Pollution Baby

It was fun. Not dark in any way, not introspective or 'deep', just mind numbingly fun. And that is OK, these are people in capes fighting evil. It was also pretty funny, I enjoyed the humor, and while it did at first seem out of place, it didn't come off as forced to me at all. I actually laughed out loud a few times. One of my favorite parts of the film was when my 6-year-old daughter turned to me and asked, "Daddy, what's an 'orgy'?"

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:14 am 
HMFIC

brian wrote:
What was the post-credit scene? More purple guy looking at stones?

Two. One was the big ship from the end running into an even-bigger ship (that presumably belongs to the purple guy). The other was a throwaway Jeff Goldblum gag.

The orgy joke seemed to go over my kid's head, which is good because I don't want him repeating it and I don't want to explain it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:08 am 
Black Hole

brian wrote:
I liked about 30 minutes of the film. I was actually incredibly annoyed with the first act because the humor seemed so forced, but a good chunk of the theater seemed to be into it.

They almost lost me during the first act. The Loki play in particular was pretty bad. Not only was it too silly and goofy, but to wipe away a major and ominous plot point from the previous film with a ridiculous gag was pretty grating. I get that they were trying to wipe the slate clean and do Thor with a different tone and style, but I found that story decision really off-putting. The whole Loki play scene was cringe-inducing. And the Doctor Strange cameo went on waaaay too long and really didn't need to be there.

HOWEVER, they did win me back once Goldblum showed up. Everything from that point forward was really good to me. The humor started to land, the adventure was good, etc.

Cate Blanchett was off the hook. Just insane, scenery chewing fun, seriously scary, and also seriously sexy. Quickly jumped up near the top of my favorite MCU villains. She was amazing.

Hulk! Best Hulk so far. As always, he steals almost every scene. The callbacks to Avengers were hilarious.

Valkyrie! Tessa Thompson was absolutely fabulous. Loved, loved, loved her and hope to hell she returns to the MCU, because she was awesome. Loved her.

Led Zeppelin. The two uses of Immigrant Song were killer.

Korg. Absurdly funny.

The amazzzzzzballs scene of Hela defeating the Valkyrie. WOW!

So they got their mojo back before all was said and done, but yeah, the first act was a really rough start.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:23 am 
HMFIC

I liked the idea of the Loki play, but it went on too long. The scene redeemed itself with the comic book Easter Egg of Thor threatening Loki by throwing the hammer and putting Loki's head in the way of its return.

Agree that the Dr. Strange cameo was unnecessary; didn't feel like it was too long, given the decision to put it in.

Yes to Led Zeppelin, and every slow-motion action bit. Hela vs. Valkyries, Thor with the lightning, Skurge's redemption (another comic call-back).

Fun. It just skewed a bit too far toward those comedy Internet Thor shorts, compared to what I was looking for. I loved those and wanted a callback to them, but not for the whole movie to be a callback.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:25 am 

Skurge annoyed me because it seemed past his first scene, the only thing he did on camera was make a "I don't like this" face shot from the same damn angle every time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:40 am 
Black Hole

He was okay. I mostly liked the idea of seeing Eomer and Galadriel lay waste together.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:30 pm 

Big news today is that Fox wants to dump its entertainment biz, specifically selling it to Disney. This includes 20th Century, which means all X-Men and F4 (and the other mutant stuff) properties would return to Marvel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:32 pm 

I think that fell apart.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:20 pm 

Really?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:27 pm 

Really
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/20 ... story.html
Disney is said to explore buying 21st Century Fox assets; talks now dead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:42 am 

Bummer. I would love to see what Marvel could do with a Fantastic Four movie. As much hate as the last attempt got, I didn't mind it. I was just disappointed that there was way less humor than I'd hoped and hardly any Fantastic Four until the final 20 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:41 pm 

Fantastic Four should be some technicolor 1960s period piece that's pure Jack Kirby meets Venture Bros.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:11 pm 
HMFIC

I don't think it should be a period piece, as that'd make it hard to integrate them into the larger MCU. But it should feel like that. Fantastic Four, when it was good, had a weird old-school comics vibe going up into the 90s.

Maybe if they did the first one as a 60's period piece, then had them stuck in the Negative Zone and emerge in the modern world, but that's probably too much like Captain America.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:19 pm 

See, the thing is, I really don't care all that much about the Marvel cinematic universe and just want a fun film. Does knowing Spider-man has been to the Baxter building or Yancy Street really make it a better film?

Full disclosure, there hasn't been a single Marvel film yet that I've loved start to finish, not counting Fox's outings. Loved Logan and First Class.

If I can't get a period piece out of Fantastic Four, then give me a zany 1940s Shazam! movie.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:34 pm 
HMFIC

I can completely understand that point of view, but I like the interaction of the characters between movies, and I think it's pretty clear I'm not alone in that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:51 pm 

Yeah, I know. And if I loved the movies, it would be fine and I'd be there with you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:03 am 
Black Hole

We went to see Thor: Ragnarok and really enjoyed it.

The humor was spot-on, I think.

It was a fun movie and a decent entry into the overarching infinity stones story.

The part that was hilarious to me was when Skurge was bragging about his

Spoiler: show
pair of assault rifles found in Tex-ass

Now, the rest of the theater was in a hushed, "omg, I can't believe that joke came up so soon after the church slaughter" (you could feel it - the reaction was palpable) and I was laughing my sick twisted ass off.

Talk about awesome.

And there is no way that it could have been planned any better. Talk about rubbing the dog's nose in its own shit.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed the story and think it is solid.

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 am 

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:

I saw this last night and loved it. I thought the humor worked pretty well actually. My complaints are small.

1. The movie felt a little rushed as far as the revolution on Sakaar went. It was like Korg was handed a weapon and then the next time we hear anything about what's happening, the revolution is already underway. I'd have liked to see just one or two more scenes showing the people actually rebelling. It felt skimmed over.

2. Planet Hulk was probably the best opportunity Marvel had at doing a really fantastic stand-alone Hulk movie and that's squandered now. I'm okay with it, but some of the better parts of that storyline would have brought out Hulk's humanity and there just wasn't time in this movie to go there.

Otherwise, I thought it was very well done. Liked the Doctor Strange cameo well enough and really enjoyed the Thor/Loki interplay throughout the movie. Looking forward to Infinity War.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:35 am 
Black Hole

Korg was one of my favorite characters.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:51 am 

I finally got around to guardians of the galaxy 2. Lots of fun, and I love the look...but, man, that star trek V plot never works.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:00 am 
Black Hole

Hey, that character predates Star Trek V by decades. In fact, he pre-dates Star Trek in general - but it's close! Trek debuted in September 1966, Ego made his first appearance in Thor #132, which was cover dated ... September 1966! (Though it would have been on shelves in August.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:01 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
I finally got around to guardians of the galaxy 2. Lots of fun, and I love the look...but, man, that star trek V plot never works.

I would argue that this time around, it was done better than in Star Trek V.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:21 am 

Is used in lots of movies, and they all have the same problem...Why does a god require help? He's millions of years old, can build planets, but...he needs an offspring. Okay.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:49 am 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
Is used in lots of movies and THE BIBLE and they all have the same problem...

:lol:

(I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm escalating)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:41 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
Is used in lots of movies, and they all have the same problem...Why does a god require help? He's millions of years old, can build planets, but...he needs an offspring. Okay.

Hey, even Odin kicked the bucket. Ooops. Spoiler.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:56 pm 
Black Hole

caryc wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:

Hey, even Odin kicked the bucket. Ooops. Spoiler.

That bucket deserved every bit of that kick.