It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:32 pm 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
It delighted me to hear that.
There's gotta be a German word for that, right?

Y'up.

Schadenfreude

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:40 pm 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
Had lunch with a friend yesterday who is friends with one of the bigger video game-related Youtubers. The guy makes 300k a year through Youtube.

The good part of the story is that apparently the guy hates it. He hates it because he doesn't like the people. Thinks the video game community is awful, full of whiny, juvenile bigots and stereotypical basement dwellers. Hates interacting with them, hates a big chunk of his audience.

But 300k a year.

So he bites his tongue and soldiers on even though he thinks video game players are horrible people, because he's not going to make that living another way.

It delighted me to hear that.

:thumbs:

I am sure he likes video games and not having to work FT, as well.

Is it Angry Joe?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:10 pm 
Singularity ∞

According to my friend, he likes video games but isn't mad crazy about them. He's happy to be comfortable, no doubt, but the fandom won't "let" him do anything else. He gets shouted down if he tries.

Wouldn't be right for me to say who it is. i don't believe he's open about this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:02 pm 
Black Hole

Wow, you are kinda friends with Angry Joe.

That's cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:52 am 
Black Hole

Quote:
TODAY IS THE DAY OF THE DOVE

That is how some fellow gamers are characterizing today.

I have been participating in an online gaming charity event that is raising money for cancer research in honor of someone that is going to die very soon (CMDR Dove Enigma).

He had a wish that he be able to attain a visit to Colonia near the Sagittarius A* system at the center of our galaxy. A godawful amount of light years and no small feat that many players just don't bother with in the game.

The developers of the game heard of the expedition and decided to construct a Mega Ship that would allow docking by explorers. They named this ship in honor of the dying gamer and for his family to know he will be missed when he dies.

It would be there for him when we arrived this weekend.

A fleet of nearly 600 ships (each with an individual player) set out weeks ago. Marking progress. Sharing moments. Chatting. Socializing and trying to raise spirits for the somber reality that this is all for someone terminally ill.

Early yesterday, news came that the memorial ship had been attacked and was being threatened by some in-game dickhead that thought it would be funny to mess with the ship so as to shutdown all the services of the vessel.

It is a normal game feature and it happens all the time.

But the point of the ship was for a person that will be dead soon to visit it before he dies (word is that he might become too sick to even play the game himself at times).

The player heard about this and was very upset by it - understandably so.

Beyond the initial outrage and outcry, many players dropped their real life schedules, to use a game mechanic to fix the ship which required a journey back to near Sol (our solar system) and carrying a specific cargo to repair the damage.

This was real people taking time out from their real lives to lend a hand in a game. Gamer groups, large and small, sounded the horn within their own and others broadcasted pleas for help across social media. Hundreds more diverted their own ships to help.

Yes, in a game.

A game of make believe.

Some people were spending 12.5 hours (or more) making a single run to help avert the damage to the memorial ship for someone they had never met all to hopefully provide a little more enjoyment and comfort before he dies.

The game developers announced late last night (after 1am UK time) that they had never seen such a dynamic of people rising to the challenge. They admitted the error in judgement to not disable the memorial ship's vulnerability until after the terminally ill player's arrival with the expedition fleet, but they could not retroactively undo it without destroying the integrity of the game. Instead, they made sure that the community knew that their efforts were impacting the repairs as desired.

The memorial ship was declared saved earlier this morning.

More players are arriving with the healing materials and the ship has such an abundance of healing materials that it has been declared by the developers as safe for the foreseeable future.

And yet, still more people are joining the efforts and the expedition.

It seems also that the person that did this attack on the charity event may have used an exploit and might face consequences beyond the game itself.

I don't think I have ever seen a more touching display of humanity.

Nothing could be more fitting than giving it the namesake of one of my favorite Star Trek episodes: The Day Of The Dove.

So, to you CMDR Dove Enigma, wherever you are and wherever you are heading, I hope that this outpouring of the best in humanity helps relieve a little of your pain and suffering and that of your family and your 5-year old daughter that you will be leaving soon.

Polygon Article

PC Games Article

And Now In German

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:33 pm 
Singularity ∞

Ugh. Absolutely disgusting behavior.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:47 pm 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
Ugh. Absolutely disgusting behavior.

Truly.

A few more tidbits:

1. The guy, CMDR Dove Enigma, responded to the community with his shock and anger that the memorial ship had been purposefully sabotaged by griefers. He then became a target for trolls telling him that it was just a game and that he should "get over it" since it is just a game. The trolling got so bad, he had to delete his social media accounts.

2. The guy, CMDR Dove Enigma, is playing with his 5-year old daughter that apparently loves the science and Star Trek-iness of the game and this was to be their final time together enjoying a similar interest since he will be dead soon.

I certainly hope that the good that rose up was loud enough to drown out the negativity that happened.

I am nearing the final way point for this Sunday's rendezvous. I hope that the showing of many people will hearten him and his daughter and family that hundreds of us are still supporting him despite the actions of a few.

Yes, it is just a game, but even in a game, an act of compassion can have real impact.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:47 pm 
Pollution Baby

True, there are normally far more good people than assholes.

P. S. It's never just a game.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:32 pm 

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/madden ... index.html

Gamers are horrible people

AKA The only thing worse than a gamer is a gamer with a gun.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 pm 
Black Hole

brian wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/madden-19-jacksonville-shooting/index.html

It was a white guy, so at least it is not terrorism.

:unsure:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:04 pm 
Pollution Baby

Whew, I was worried for a moment.

That recording is truely horrific.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:15 pm 
Singularity ∞

Pender wrote:
brian wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/madden-19-jacksonville-shooting/index.html

It was a white guy, so at least it is not terrorism.

:unsure:

Lone wolf.

Mental illness.

Nobody could have prevented it.

Just a loose cannon.

Thoughts and prayers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:54 pm 

The video is scary - you can see a laser sight on one of the players right before the shooting starts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:55 pm 

Like, I don't know, I've participated in competitive gaming (pinball, but whatever, bunch of dorks in an enclosed place)

People get really shitty to one another during competition. Most are fine. But all it takes is a toxic personality or two to ruin it for everyone. Throw a gun in there, well, fuckkkk.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:56 am 
Singularity ∞

It's strange. I was morbidly curious about the video, but when I heard it was only audio I decided not to watch it.

But not for the reasons you might think.

Not because I wanted to see people get shot and only getting audio was disappointing, but because I knew that audio only would somehow be even more horrible to experience.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:56 pm 

Shoe wrote:
It's strange. I was morbidly curious about the video, but when I heard it was only audio I decided not to watch it.

But not for the reasons you might think.

Not because I wanted to see people get shot and only getting audio was disappointing, but because I knew that audio only would somehow be even more horrible to experience.

I don't know. Some things of this nature hit you hard. I listened to it, it's disturbing and a sad event. But I don't think I'm worse for listening.

The video of that car ramming into protesters in Charlottesville messed me up. Lots of tears over that. And the footage from that event appeared in a recent Hollywood film, and brought me straight back to that day. Full tears in the theater. Fuck.

This is what we get for recording everything.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:20 pm 

brian wrote:
The video of that car ramming into protesters in Charlottesville messed me up. Lots of tears over that. And the footage from that event appeared in a recent Hollywood film, and brought me straight back to that day. Full tears in the theater. Fuck.

I had not seen that footage prior to seeing the movie in question, and it had me almost shaking with rage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:18 pm 

Video game players are horrible people.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:13 pm 
Singularity ∞

Holy shit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:33 pm 

*HEART BREAK*
*SHOOTING*

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:59 pm 

much sad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:06 am 
Singularity ∞

The gaming community giveth and the gaming community taketh away.

Playing Red Dead the other night, I saw a bunch of fire in the distance and approached it. Turned out to be a big gathering of KKK members holding torches and initiating a new member. I watched for a few moments to see how it would play out, then was like, "Nah, I'm not watching this, not even if it's only a game," and tossed a fire bottle into the middle of them. They all caught fire. The ones who didn't die got shot. (Afterward, your character says, "Damn hooded rats, I'll kill every one of them.")

Curious about how that scene would have played out, I checked Youtube. Watched it. Then read the comments.

Never read the comments.

Loads of knuckleheads complaining that Rockstar had turned into "SJWs" for depicting the KKK as bumbling idiots, how "liberals" are ruining games, how democrats are the real racists, how if Rockstar was fair you should have a chance to kill groups of black people too, etc.

I want to get off this planet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:37 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
I want to get off this planet.

You are not the only one feeling this way as of late.

I do believe that is worth exposing, though. Maybe a submitted story to IGN or another popular gamer site?

At the very least, you should blog it so it is exposed.

I am sorry people ruined your game, brother, you deserved some sort of happiness and I knew you were getting it in the game.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:30 pm 
Pollution Baby

When this current era came about, we'll call it Agent Orange, The Orange Era, dunno, I was glad that the asshole racist were exposing themselves, but fuck, there are so many of them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:51 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
there are so many of them.

And they reproduce.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:10 pm 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
Ericubus wrote:
there are so many of them.

And they reproduce.

Truth.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6