It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Rebels
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:29 pm 
Singularity ∞

I did find a fan edit where someone was creating a series of "films" out of the show, assembling episodes together into standalone movies that would eventually turn the whole series into a series of them. Cool stuff, but I think he only got as far as season two, and four "movies" overall.

They are om Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/channels/1169390/194113335

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:45 pm 

You have no idea what you're missing. The arcs (which span seasons) are some of the best storytelling in Star Wars. This ultimate episode order splits up the stories for you, and is really how you should watch the show:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comme ... ode_order/

And if you're watching Rebels season 2, then shame on you for not watching Clone Wars season 5. There are events in Rebels that are meaningless with seeing the setup in Clone Wars.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:01 pm 

I haven't watched Clone Wars (effort, but maybe I will do it) but Shoe, I think it's worth watching the series through. Even the disposable episodes are usually fun in some regard.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:04 pm 
Singularity ∞

[img]Ain'tNobodyGotTimeForThatLady.jpg[/img]

(In all seriousness, one day I will, but not any time soon)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:34 pm 
Singularity ∞

And FWIW, I've seen about 2 1/2 seasons of the show, plus some scattered later episodes. I'm not denying for a moment that it's good shit. It is!

It's just a big commitment, and one that I'm not at all prepared to dive into right now.

Couldn't even if I wanted to. Most of my "watch stuff" time is being consumed on my next book right now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:15 am 
Singularity ∞

Rogue One is on.

Why in the hell is the faux assassination scene staged in the rain? Why the hell would Krennick gather everyone outside in a downpour for his little display? THERE IS A DRY HANGAR/BASE LIKE 15 DAMN FEET AWAY, YOU MORONS!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:18 am 
Singularity ∞

It is ASTONISHING how much the last act elevates the entire rest of the movie. That's especially amazing since the first two acts feel cobbled together like they didn't what they were doing, when in fact it's the LAST act that was cobbled together at the last minute with studio-mandated rewrites and reshoots. It's the exact opposite result you'd expect!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:16 am 

Shoe wrote:
Rogue One is on.

Why in the hell is the faux assassination scene staged in the rain? Why the hell would Krennick gather everyone outside in a downpour for his little display? THERE IS A DRY HANGAR/BASE LIKE 15 DAMN FEET AWAY, YOU MORONS!!

Atmosphere, duh! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:30 am 

Same reason it's raining when the kids see the T-Rex for the first time in Jurassic Park. You could write a whole essay on why Jyn goes from wet to dry to wet to dry in this movie (eg. she was very damp when her mother was killed). Subtleties that you won't find in TFA.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:36 am 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
Same reason it's raining when the kids see the T-Rex for the first time in Jurassic Park.

That all makes sense in story, though. It was done to look cool (and more honestly, to help mask special effects), but IN STORY it worked as well.

The Rogue One scene is staged that was because drama.

That's fine -- I'm literally writing this afternoon about a filmmaker who does this all the time to great effect -- but it's still got to make sense in the story itself.

It makes absolutely no goddamn sense for them to be standing out there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:39 am 

Eh, I was more concerned about why Krennick would still be flying in the same shuttle 15 (give or take) years later.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:11 am 
Singularity ∞

HAhahaha! I didn't notice that one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:36 pm 
Singularity ∞

I'm getting caught up on Clone Wars. What I REALLY want to watch it Rebels, but figure I should wrap up Clone Wars first.

I'm skipping episodes, mind you. Things that don't look essential. Trying to do maybe a dozen episodes per season. I'm nearing the end of season 3 (I picked up roughly where I left off), when the three Jedi are on that weird Force planet with the light and dark side siblings.

Really looking forward to getting caught up on Rebels. That's my era.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:50 pm 

Shoe wrote:
when the three Jedi are on that weird Force planet with the light and dark side siblings.

I love this story. Felt like a throw-away plot when I first watched it, but it grew on me the 2nd time.

If you like the Rebels era, then season 4 of Clone Wars will whet your appetite. There's an unmentioned jump forward in time (like 2 years), and the Republic starts to look more and more like the Empire as the season progresses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:11 pm 
Singularity ∞

Cool, I like the sound of that.

Not that Clone Wars hasn't been great. It has. But I like the Empire era, I like scrappy underdogs fighting against overwhelming odds, and I like that I don't know where those characters end up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:55 pm 
Singularity ∞

I'm all caught up on my show.

God DAMN, when it's good it's as good as any Star Wars thing ever made.

I actually went a little nuts and ended up creating a series of my own fan edits to divide the show into "movies." Right now I have six film-length cuts that focus on some specific storylines. They bring you up throgh the opening of season 4.

"Twin Suns," the episode that brings the Maul arc to an end, was just beautiful.

And Ahsoka. Wow. Loved it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:03 pm 

Shoe wrote:
And Ahsoka. Wow. Loved it.

My favourite SW character, by far. I adore what Filoni does with the SW universe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:09 pm 
Singularity ∞

She went from being an annoying (to me) character for kids to one of my favorites, too. She's terrific. Her final arc in Clone Wars was outstanding.

And yeah, Filoni is maybe doing the best Star Wars there is since the originals. No kidding.

There are always episodes that are too kiddie for my taste, of course, but that's super easy to overlook, and in Rebels even those episodes are pretty good. (The first two seasons of Clone Wars are hit and miss in that regard.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:27 pm 

Shoe wrote:
She went from being an annoying (to me) character for kids to one of my favorites, too. She's terrific. Her final arc in Clone Wars was outstanding.

It's a minor miracle how much Ahsoka went from "annoying stock kid sidekick" from those clunky, early Clone Wars episodes to "best character from the Prequel era". Dammit, if Disney is gonna persist with these "spin-off" movies, give us a live-action Ahsoka Tano movie! Set it in that vague, undefined period between when she walked away from the Jedi Order at the end of Clone Wars and she shows up again in Rebels, and have her as a badass, Ronin-style former warrior who accepts some random job for money and ends up helping some downtrodden people. Kids would flip to see her on the big screen, and it'd work even for those who haven't seen her on the small screen with a minimum of exposition.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:34 am 
Singularity ∞

Oh, one more bit about Ahsoka: Not only was her final arc a very Hitchcockian "man on the run" story, but every episode title was a riff on a Hitchcock movie:

Sabotage = Sabotage
The Jedi Who Knew Too Much = duh!
To Catch a Jedi = To Catch a Thief
The Wrong Jedi = The Wrong Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:31 pm 

There was also an episode of the series (can't remember the title) which was a scene-for-scene remake of Notorious, with Anakin in the Cary Grant role, and Padme as Ingrid Bergman.

EDIT: Season two, "Sentate Spy".

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-cinema ... -notorious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:58 pm 

That's from season 2, right before the big (and-thanks-to-Disney-the-incomplete) Mandalorian story arc begins.

nevermind, you found it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:55 am 
Singularity ∞

Yeah, seeing what they had planned for seasons 7 and 8 is a little heartbreaking, if only because of the couple of story arcs left unfinished (specifically Maul and Mandalore, Aksoka going underground, and the end of Ventriss).

The Clone War era is not my favorite and there are a lot of arcs I could do without, plus that's a LOT to pack in between two movies, however, the dangling plot threads are tantalizing.

A new series is in the works, but no details so far. Curious what it will be. The obvious guess is something after Jedi but before Force Awakens, but they've provided no hints so far.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:31 am 
Singularity ∞

The final episodes are coming:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:40 am 
Singularity ∞

For a friend, I uploaded a series of fan edit "movies" that string together Clone Wars and Rebels episodes into movie-length viewing experiences. Some other guy made a few, I did the others. Things like credits and that sort of thing are all trimmed out so the episodes flow together like a movie.

If anyone is interested in them, shoot me a PM and I'll send you the links (which expire 14 days from now). It's about 18gb overall for all over it, though they're uploaded as individual 'movies.' Pretty good way to check out the highlights of these shows without having to watch through the whole thing.

Take note, mine were only intended for ME and were never meant to be shared. I did not make them for others to see. They come from TV sources and have channel logos, etc., and I was just learning, so the edits aren't always as good as they can be and the quality is what it is.

But like I said, for a highlight reel kind of thing, it's a good way to get caught up on these shows.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:08 am 
HMFIC

I'd like the link. Since my kid stopped watching these, I haven't had the time, but I've kind of wondered where they've gone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:07 am 
Singularity ∞

So, yeah. This show.

That most recent episode, while I don't know what I think about where they've taken the Force, That Moment was frickin' mind-blowing. When it happened, I literally sat up and exclaimed "Holy shit!" (while alone in the room).

Spoiler: show
Though I liked the ambiguity of that Ahsoka and Anakin confrontation - one of the most genuinely moving moments in all the Star Wars canon, IMO - I'd been hoping they would follow up on it, because I couldn't stand dealing with the idea of not knowing whether or not she was alive.

I was totally stoked when it looked as if we were going to see the rest of that scene play out, and then when Ezra actually intervened. Holy crap!

They sort of seemed to suggest that Ezra could have intervened with Kanen, too, but it seems like it doesn't/shouldn't work that way. He didn't change the past. Ahsoka was always rescued in that moment. They saw Kanen die, so there was no stopping that (though I did like the thematic callbacks to Revenge of the Sith).

This show is doing a remarkable job of tying together all eras, too. This last batch of episodes has included nods to Rogue One, major ties to The Clone Wars, and references to the prequels, original trilogy, and even the newest trilogy.

What really blows my mind is that with just an hour left of the show before it's done, I have no damn idea where it's going.

Rebels is by far my favorite Star Wars since the first two movies.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:06 am 

It's still not as amazing as the last few seasons of Clone Wars, but Rebels is finally getting to a point where I love the show (of course, right as it's about to end).

I love that Filoni gets to bring Ahsoka back and do some cool shit like this. On a side note, I adore the animation style of the mural elements moving.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:18 am 
Singularity ∞

Clone Wars loses marks from me for being an anthology show.

In theory that should be great -- allows the show to do almost anything, get involved with lots of characters, and explore any corner of Star Wars it wants -- but in practice it kept me from getting fully invested. Never felt like it was going anywhere and it was often a question as to whether I'd like any given arc (though they DO get far more consistent in later seasons).

For me, Clone Wars is Ahsoka's show. The show's "story" ends when she leaves the Jedi Order (though I did love the Order 66 arc from season 6). Episodes featuring her are "main" episodes and (most) others are side stories.

Most but not all, because stuff like Maul's story obviously become tied to Ahsoka later, both in books and in Rebels, so they are "main" episodes despite Ahsoka largely being off screen.

Mind you, that's purely a Shoe thing. With rare exceptions (Twilight Zone, Black Mirror), I vastly prefer serialized television to episodic television.

Plus, I just like the aesthetic of the Rebellion era way more than the Clone Wars era.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:33 am 

I can't stand most of the first two seasons of Rebels, and even when it started getting great, they would take a left turn and just put out a garbage episode (that Enemy Mine episode comes to mind). There are some GREAT episodes, but I have no desire to re-watch the series from start to finish.

I've watched Clone Wars 3 or 4 times now, and I never get bored with it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:49 am 
Singularity ∞

The first season of Rebels is pretty mediocre, but I felt like it was in full swing by the second.

I can't see myself rewatching the entire show, either, but that's exactly why I stitched together "movies" of the central arcs and best episodes. I can re-watch everything essential from the first two seasons in three "movies" of about 100 minutes or so each. It essentially forms a trilogy that ends with the big confrontation in the Sith temple. Works great.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:25 am 
Singularity ∞

Solid ending, though not on the level with the show's best. The final stretch was a little action heavy and character-light. I'd really liked to have seen each main character get an important moment, but overall I'm fairly satisfied.

I will say that the deus ex machina being a callback to a previous episode doesn't make it any less a deus ex machina (though in fairness, they did hint at it several times leading up to it). Not sure how I felt about that twist.

The ending does, however
give us a good answer to "why don't we hear about Thrawn after this?" by blasting him off into who knows where. Same with Ezra.

Though now that I think about it, the ship's windows were all open and shattered. Wouldn't hyperspace have killed them both?

But that's a looking-too-closely nitpick. The bottom line is, the show actually allows for Thrawn to have a similar entrance (or re-entrance) into Star Wars as he did in the Zhan books. So that's cool.

One thing I loved is that my favorite character from each animated show ended up
working together in the end. Ahsoka and Sabine are the best, so the idea that Ahsoka is training Sabine is great.

Even better, that moment is AFTER the Battle of Endor, which means Ahsoka lived through the Rebellion era. Hooray!

Wonder if that means there's a chance the next show will be focused on her? At the very least, she can show up in whatever they're doing.

And a post-Endor show with them as two of the main characters? Sign me up!

Overall solid stuff, not reaching the heights of the show's best, but I'm happy with it and looking forward to seeing what Filoni does next.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:38 am 

Yeah, the epilogue has me psyched for what is (hopefully) to come.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:00 pm 
Singularity ∞

I'd be stoked if that's what the next show is. I'd like something that bridges the gap between the original trilogy and the new, AND I'd like to see those characters doing the thing it showed them about to do. There is a lot of potential there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:08 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Though now that I think about it, the ship's windows were all open and shattered. Wouldn't hyperspace have killed them both?

Leia surviving in the vacuum of space in Last Jedi indicates that Ezra, at least, could have survived. And the could have been a seconds-long hyperspace jaunt and still could have blasted him and Thrawn halfway across the galaxy.

Satisfying conclusion to the series, and the epilogue showing us each character's fate even gave me a mild case of the Feels. It wasn't as good overall as Clone Wars at its best (the season two Ahsoka/Vader arc was the highlight), but it's still quality Star Wars.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next