It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Quit Place
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:42 am 
Singularity ∞

A Quiet Place (2018)

Moody and atmospheric, the advertisements sell this as a scare film.

It's not.

A Quiet Place is instead a kind of science fiction thriller with horror elements that is focused more on mood and tone and tension than it is on scares, enemies, or gore.

The spoiler-free conceit is simple: A small family tries to survive in a world in which something is out there that kills people who make too much noise.

Because of this conceit, this film is quiet. Very quiet. Virtually the entire movie is 'spoken' in sign language. There is very little normal dialogue, less than five minutes of it in all. Hell, one of the characters is deaf, and when you're in her point of view there is no sound at all. The score is soft and subtle rather than trying to make up for the silence.

The film does a great job of sticking to this conceit and making it work. Load noises really do make you cringe with worry.

There is backstory placed in the world, bits you can piece together, but the story is more about the family than about what this something is.

The narrative is admittedly pretty predictable. They telegraph things way in advance. You're not going to find many surprises here. A short while into it, all the pieces are in place and you can see the third act being formed.

That's mostly okay, though, because the tension is well done, the situation utterly interesting, and anyone with a family will relate to what these people must be going through.

Though it's sold as a horror movie, there are no real jump scares and what little gore there is is minimal. The goriest part of the movie is a spoiler, but I'll just say that it's even tamer than something you'd see on ABC during prime time. This is a PG-13 movie that does not push the envelope in that way. I'd even trust it with some younger kids, provided they are okay with scary movies (though again, for an adult, this isn't scary at all).

The ads sell this as something it's not.

This is a mood piece about survival with a great conceit, a predictable story, and a very capable approach to exploring its core conceit.

Just don't think too hard about it! Otherwise you'll have some "why don't they just ...?" questions.

A solid 3.5 out of 5. Not a rush-out-and-see-it flick, but if the concept sounds interesting than add it to your list.

Post subject: Re: A Quiet Place
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:52 am 

I've been on the fence with this one because I could kind of read the same things you mention just from the trailer. I love the idea and I've heard that it's well-acted and plotted, but I tend to like more horror in my survival stories (a la Dawn of the Dead) than this looked like it was going to give. I'll see it, but will probably wait until it hits home video.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:57 am 

I read the other day that this was close to being a Cloverfield film, based on what you wrote Shoe I could definitely see that.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:35 am 
Singularity ∞

Cary, yeah, there isn't much horror at all. If you're looking for those elements, save it for home viewing.

JC, I hadn't heard that, but I could definitely see it. It would slot fairly easily into the whole Cloverfield thing.

I give them credit. I watched a cam recording with really awful subtitles that half the time weren't even there, yet every last element of the movie was crystal clear. You could watch this without the subs at all and not miss a thing. Except for one scene, it's very much dialogue-optional.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:28 am 

That's pretty impressive. It says a lot about the writing and direction for sure. I like the Cloverfield movies (haven't seen Paradox yet) but to be honest, I've seen them all at home.

I know you've said it's been getting the horror marketing push and that may be misleading but to be honest, I'm actually happy about that. I've been hoping for a horror resurgence for some time and especially some new titles that aren't franchises. I'm so sick of the reboots and sequels in movies like Saw, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc. and even the sequels to movies like Insidious and that bunch. For the last few years, there has been a steady trickle of great independent stuff like It Follows and foreign films like Train to Busan. It finally got the attention of the big studios last year with Get Out and if that means we see more money poured into the genre I'm seriously happy.

So a movie like A Quiet Place doing so well theatrically while getting the horror push isn't a bad thing IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 am 
Singularity ∞

That's a really good point. Yeah, I guess as a fan of science fiction, especially "smart" science fiction, I feel the same way about movies in that wheelhouse. Even if something like, say, Gravity just uses science fiction as shallow window dressing for a mom drama, that's fine by me because it draw money and attention to a corner of the movie world I'd like to see more of.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:30 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Just don't think too hard about it! Otherwise you'll have some "why don't they just ...?" questions.

Right... My brain immediately went to "Can't they just set up a stereo somewhere on their land as a distraction?" but whatever, I enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:33 am 
Singularity ∞

Or
Spoiler: show
If the waterfall presents a safe place for them, why don't they just LIVE at the waterfall?

But again, same as you, whatever, I enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:38 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Or
Spoiler: show
If the waterfall presents a safe place for them, why don't they just LIVE at the waterfall?

But again, same as you, whatever, I enjoyed it.

A loud recording of a waterfall!?

A white noise generator!?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:00 pm 
Singularity ∞

I have to assume that elsewhere in that world, the enemy is already in the process of being defeated and this family is just stuck in a spot the military hasn't been able to reach yet, because while the concept is terrifying and difficult for ordinary people to overcome, the solutions and means of fighting back are many and would be relatively easy for the gubmint to develop.

I imagine something like the end of the Mist, where it seems like the entire world has gone to hell, but in reality the guys with the guns are getting things under control.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:38 am 
Singularity ∞

A sequel has been greenlit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:42 am 

A sequel is deeply unnecessary.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:48 am 
Singularity ∞

Quite true.

They left a lot of room for one. A LOT of room.

But really only in having the expected, borderline "This is only the beginning!" kind of ending so many movies like this have.